If you’re creative and are keen to make a career out of it, this course is a great place to start.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real love of creativity
- Four National 4s or equivalent, ideally including Art and Design
- A relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4 or equivalent
- An interview with us
- A portfolio of your work, demonstrating your drawing skills in particular
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course will help you develop your creative skills in a wide range of arts and crafts areas.
By the end of the year, you’ll have created a portfolio for progression to a higher level of study which will be bursting with items you’ve produced or designed, including:
- Drawings and paintings
- Ceramic pots
- Jewellery pieces
- Digital photographs
You’ll develop other skills too, such as:
- Design, including tie dying t-shirts
- Surface decoration, and how to creatively apply embellishing with yarns and ribbons
- Art and design software, such as Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
You’ll also have the chance to:
- Exhibit your work, including external venues such as Mclaurin Art Gallery at Rozelle House.
- Work on live briefs for community projects or local businesses, such as creating pop-up banners for a local charity.
- Go on trips to galleries and exhibitions, like the Scottish National Gallery of
Modern Art in Edinburgh or Kelvingrove in Glasgow.
- Take part in workshops with local, practising artists.
- Be involved in the Creative Department’s Annual End of Year Show.
- Take part in an enterprise activity, with the chance to sell a piece of your work.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 6 course, such as NC Art and Design or Art and Design (Graphic Route)
- Exploring your future career options including: Self-Employed Artist, Practising Artist, Community Arts, Youth Arts Worker, Jewellery Designer, Art Therapist, Teacher.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Create your future - 10 reasons why graphics is a great career choice. Click here to read the blog.
- First steps in the real world - Visual Comms students enjoy a week in the college design team. Click here to read the blog.
- Straight from the horse’s mouth – school pupils jump aboard the Creative Carousel and hear about industry options. Click here to read the blog.
- From NC to HND – students’ fond reflections at final public show before progressing to pastures new. Click here to read the blog.