The demand for gorgeous nails just keeps on growing, with the creative world of the nail industry expanding almost daily. If you ever dream of creating flawless fingers and toe nails, this is the course for you. It’s led by highly knowledgeable and experienced professionals who are as passionate about nails as you are, as well as up to speed with the latest industry developments.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
A real interest in nail services
Four National 4s or equivalent OR
a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4, such as Personal and Vocational Skills (Hairdressing, Beauty and Make-Up) or equivalent
To go through an interview process with us, including a group interview, interview task and one-to-one interview
To be aged 16 or over
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place.
This course introduces you to the practical skills involved in nail care and other beauty treatments, while giving you the knowledge you’ll need to work in a commercial salon.
You’ll also be encouraged to gain valuable work experience through helping with community and college events.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Manicures - you’ll learn to perform a full treatment, including shaping, skin and
cuticle treatments, hand massage, and applying the perfect finish.
- Pedicure - you’ll learn how to perform a perfect pedicure, including shaping nails, foot massage, and applying a nail finish.
- Nail enhancements - you’ll develop skills in applying natural tips and clear overlays, using different systems, such as light-cured gel.
- Nail art - you’ll learn how to create different types of designs on hands and feet using techniques such as wraps, glitters, marbling and freehand.
- Gel polish - you’ll develop skills in application and removal of gel polish, including dark, light, French and design.
- Eyebrows - you’ll learn how to enhance eyebrows, through shaping with tweezers, tinting and eyebrow cosmetics.
- Make-Up - you’ll learn how to apply a variety of looks, such as natural, evening and special occasions, and to different skin types, conditions, tones and age groups.
- Reception - you’ll learn what’s involved in running an efficient salon reception area.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons
- Taking part in in-house competitions
- Hearing from industry speakers
- Volunteering for community events, like performing manicures for charity
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto SVQ Nail Services @ SCQF Level 6
- Seeking to start your career as a Manicurist/Pedicurist in a salon, or Trainee Nail Technician
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOG
- Treat yourself at our training salons - see what’s on offer at our commercial hair, beauty and nail salons in Kilwinning, Kilmarnock and Ayr. Click here to read our blog.