When we look good, we feel good and as we know, our personal well-being is vital to good health. Beauty Therapy professionals play an important role in this by helping us to look and feel our best. They also get to be part of a diverse and ever evolving industry, which is both rewarding and challenging to work in.
To be successful in this profession you must be passionate about what you do, caring, creative, committed and hardworking. You’ll also need to be self-motivated, a good team player and enjoy working with people. If you’re interested in a career in the exciting world of beauty, this course is for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in beauty
- Four National 5s or equivalent OR a Beauty qualification at SCQF Level 5, such as NC Beauty Care and Make-Up, or equivalent
- To go through an interview process with us, including a group interview, interview task and one-to-one interview
- To be aged 16 or over
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place.
This course offers a great foundation if you’re starting your Beauty studies, and also develops existing skills if you’re progressing from Level 5. Most units are both practical and theory based, and you’ll be working on paying clients in our commercial salon. You’ll also be encouraged to work part-time in a salon or spa to gain valuable work experience while you complete your studies.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Nail finishes - you’ll develop skills in shaping, improving the appearance of cuticles, nail polishing and basic hand massage.
- Eye enhancements - you’ll learn skills in eyelash and eyebrow tinting, eyebrow shaping and how to apply false eyelashes.
- Depilation - you’ll develop your skills in warm waxing, to include a range of facial and body areas.
- Body massage - you’ll learn how to perform a full body massage, through a range of techniques to meet the aims of different treatment plans.
- Facial techniques/treatments - you’ll develop skills in customising treatments for individual client requirements
- Make-up - you’ll explore current trends, develop skills in application and then create a current ‘look’.
- Manicure and pedicure - you’ll learn about products and procedures involved including exfoliation, massage, masks, heated mittens and bootees.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons
- Going on work experience
- Taking part in competitions such as World Skills
- Hearing from industry speakers
- Volunteering for community events, like performing manicures for charity
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 7 course such as HNC Beauty or HNC Complementary Therapies or SVQ Beauty @SCQF level 6/7
- Exploring your future career options which could include: Salon Beauty Therapist, Spa Therapist, Self-employed Beauty Therapist/Salon Owner, Beauty Therapist on board a cruise ship, Beauty Therapist Trainer/Educator or Nail Technician.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Skills on show - Beauty students get creative in campus competition. Click here to read the blog.
- Find out what it’s really like - Kelly McMullan shares her experiences of studying Beauty at Ayrshire College. Click here to read the blog.
- ‘Amazing opportunities’ - discover why Kelly McCann believes Ayrshire College is best for Beauty. Click here to read the blog.
- See our Beauty students getting creative in the campus competition. Click here to view the photographs.
- End of year show for Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up students. Click here to view the photographs.