If you’re thinking about a career in the music industry, this course can help you on your way.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
A real passion for music
A minimum of Higher Music, plus Core Skills at Level 6 OR
a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 6 or equivalent such as Access to HNC Music
Musical performance ability in at least one instrument or voice at Higher level
An audition and interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have relevant experience or training, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
If you’re already a competent musician or singer, this course will help you take your skills to a whole new level via the studio and live performance environments.
You’ll spend one day a week rehearsing at the Berkeley 2 Studios in Glasgow (http://www.berkeley2.co.uk/) and will perform regularly including:
- Live gigs in the college theatre, and local pubs and clubs around Ayrshire
- Outdoor gigs, such as Jam at the Dam in Ayr
You’ll discover what it takes to be a performer – as well as musical talent, you’ll need business know-how, entrepreneurship, loads of hard work and plenty of confidence.
Here’s some more on what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll focus on live performances, finding out about all the practical aspects involved with ‘gigging’ and developing skills to successfully perform live.
- You’ll look at stagecraft, including how to interact with your audience and fellow performers, technical skills relating to your performance and how to create a stage persona.
- You’ll develop skills in songwriting, researching the structural elements of songs and different genres, before writing your own original song.
- You’ll develop skills in composing, looking at a range of techniques and styles, and creating your own musical composition.
- You’ll learn about recording techniques, including the multi-track recording process.
- You’ll develop skills in music theory.
- You’ll look at the practical issues or ‘non-performance’ aspects of being a professional musician, including self employment and legal obligations.
You’ll also have the opportunity to:
- Take part in regular masterclasses with professional musicians
- Record and release your own material via our record label Sun Turtle Records
- Take part in community projects
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HND Music (subject to an audition)
- Moving onto a music performance or production degree course at university
- Exploring your future career options in the music industry - with the right qualifications and ability (and usually perseverance!), the music industry offers a wide variety of careers including: Professional Musician, Function Band Musician, Music Teacher, Instrumental Tutor, Community Artist, Music Producer, Event Organiser, Music Remixer, DJ, Sound Designer, Dubbing Mixer, Sound Editor, Electronic Music Producer, Guitar Technician, Drum Technician, Performer, Songwriter, Arranger.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS & VIDEO
Your music, your label - see how Sun Turtle Records can help get your music out there. Click here to read the blog.
- Ending on a high note - music students perform fabulous show at closing party, Click here to read the blog.
- Be wowed by our End of Year Show - Creative Candy features students from across the department including fashion, music, sound production and performing arts. Click here to watch the video.