When we look good, we feel good and as we know, our personal well-being is vital to good health. Beauty Therapy professionals play an important role in this by helping us to look and feel our best. They also get to be part of a diverse and ever evolving industry, which both rewarding and challenging to work in.
To be successful in this profession you must be passionate about what you do, caring, creative, committed and hardworking. You’ll also need to be self-motivated, a good team player and enjoy working with people. If you’re interested in a career in the exciting world of beauty, this course is for you.
For entry to this course you'll need:
- A real interest in beauty
- A minimum of 1 Higher OR
- a relevant SCQF Level 6 qualification or equivalent such as NC Beauty Care, NC Wellness Therapies, SVQ Beauty Therapy @SCQF Level 6/7 or SVQ Nail Services @ SCQF Level 6
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To be aged 16 or over
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place.
This course offers a great foundation if you’re starting your Beauty studies, and develops existing skills if you’re progressing from Level 6. You’ll also be encouraged to work part-time in a salon or spa to gain valuable work experience while you complete your studies.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Anatomy and physiology - you’ll explore the main body systems and study the effects of various beauty therapies on these systems.
- Manual and electrotherapy facial and body therapies - you’ll develop skills in a variety of techniques, such as exfoliation, massage, extraction, milia removal, masks, steam, high frequency, faradic and galvanic, as well as body wraps.
- Electro cosmetic therapy - you’ll look at the theory of radiation treatments used in beauty, such as UV and infra.
- Product knowledge - you’ll learn about the chemical and botanical ingredients found in current skincare product ranges, and advise on appropriate products for different skin types.
- Spa Treatments - you’ll learn about the effects of different treatments, and the history of spa and water therapies.
- Lifestyle - you’ll explore a holistic approach to a balanced lifestyle, and learn how to advise clients to improve and maintain good health and wellbeing.
- Contemporary aesthetic treatments - you’ll look at treatments currently in vogue in the beauty industry, such as lash lifting, chemical peels and brow sculpting.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons
- Going on work experience and/or volunteer for community events
- Taking part in competitions such as World Skills or SEBTA
- Hearing from industry speakers
- Attending the Scottish Hair & Beauty Show
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HND Beauty
- Exploring your future career options which could include: Salon Beauty Therapist, Spa Therapist, Self-employed Beauty Therapist/Salon Owner, Beauty Therapist on board a cruise ship, Beauty Therapist Trainer/Educator or Nail Technician
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS!
- Find out what it’s really like - Kelly McMullan shares her experiences of studying Beauty at Ayrshire College. Click here to read the blog.
- See the fabulous Fashion Show looks by our Hair & Make-up students. Click here to view the photos.
- End of year show for Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up students. Click here to view the photos.