For entry to this course you’ll need:
- An HNC Fashion Design and Production with Retail (with a minimum of 15 credits)
- An interview with us
- A portfolio of your designs and garment production if you achieved your HNC at another college
This course builds on the HNC and gives you the opportunity to take your skills in design and production to an advanced level.
The main focus is on looking at fashion trends, designing your own garments, making your own patterns and producing your own mini collection for showcasing at the End of Year Fashion Show.
You’ll often work on self-directed projects and along the way will create your own portfolio for progression. So prepared to be busy!
Here are just some of the areas you’ll cover:
- You’ll extend your skills in pattern development, focusing now on producing patterns for complex styles and customisation.
- You’ll take your sewing skills to an advanced level and practise specialist techniques to produce complex garments.
- You’ll look at events management, and play a key role in planning, organising and managing the End of Year Fashion Show.
- You’ll explore store design and layout, looking at the formats different retailers use to attract customers and maximise sales.
You’ll also have the chance to:
- Take part in competitions with external partners - previously this has included designing jewellery for local retailer Cherry Soda and creating a tartan throw for Westpoint Homes.
- Organise events, such as a ‘Creative Visions’ day to give people the chance to try industry skills such as beading, machine knitting or embroidery.
- Take part in live briefs, such as designing a collection for Begg & Co.
- Be inspired by a visit to the Glasgow School of Art Fashion Show.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a degree course at Glasgow Caledonian University via our articulation arrangements, such as BA International Fashion Branding or BA International Fashion Business (direct entry to year 3)
- Moving onto another fashion related degree programme at e.g. Glasgow School or Art, Edinburgh School of Art, Gray’s School of Art in Aberdeen or London College of Fashion.
- Exploring your future career options including: Stylist, Buyer, Designer, Pattern Cutter, Garment Technologist, Import or Retail Merchandiser, Visual Merchandiser, Marketing Assistant, Retail Assistant/Manager.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Tartan triumph - see how our students won over Westpoint Homes with their fabulous tartan designs. Click here to read the blog.
- Next stop London - HND Fashion student secures a place at the prestigious London College of Fashion. Click here to read the blog.
- Find out what it’s really like - from self belief to friends for life and an internship with Ted Baker - David Collins shares his experiences of HND Fashion with Retail. Click here to read the blog.
- Be wowed by our End of Year Show - Creative Candy features students from fashion, hair, make-up, photography, music, sound production and performing arts. Click here to watch the video.