For entry to this course you’ll need:
- An HNC Music (with a minimum of 12 credits, but ideally 15 credits)
- An audition and interview with us
This course will prepare you extremely well for accessing a BEd in Music (Teacher) course or for starting your career in the music industry, either in professional recording or as a session/touring musician. It will push you creatively and prepare you professionally to get you fully ready for the next stage in your musical journey.
You’ll spend one day a week rehearsing at the Berkeley 2 Studios in Glasgow (http://www.berkeley2.co.uk/) and will perform regularly including
- Live gigs in the college theatre, and local pubs and clubs around Ayrshire
- Outdoor gigs, such as Jam at the Dam in Ayr
Here’s some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll continue to improve your live performance skills, developing a high level of proficiency and professionalism
- You’ll extend your skills in songwriting, moving onto more advanced elements
- You’ll develop your composition skills, broadening your technique and learning about composing for the visual arts such as film, games or theatre
- You’ll extend your knowledge of recording techniques, looking at multi-track recording
- You’ll extend your skills in music theory
- You’ll experience what it’s like to be a session musician, including creating musical parts while working under pressure
- You’ll look at the impact of digital technology on the music industry and how it affects production, distribution, marketing and consumption
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Take part in regular masterclasses with professional musicians
- Pitch to record and release your own material via our record label Sun Turtle Records
- Take part in community based projects such as Tam Fest and OCMBA (Organised Community Based Musical Activity) such as working with school pupils or older people
- Volunteer at local schools, such as running guitar workshops
- Go busking!
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a teaching, music performance or music production degree course at university
- Starting your career in the music industry offers a wide variety of careers including: Professional Musician, Function Band Musician, Music Teacher, Instrumental Tutor, Community Artist, Music Producer, Event Organiser, Music Remixer, DJ, Sound Designer, Dubbing Mixer, Sound Editor, Electronic Music Producer, Guitar Technician, Drum Technician, Performer, Songwriter, Arranger
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOG & VIDEO
Your music, your label - see how Sun Turtle Records can help get your music out there. Click here to read the blog.
- Music students and movie legends - Ayrshire College Choir’s very special concert. Click here to read the blog.
- Ending on a high note - music students perform fabulous show at closing party, Click here to read the blog.
- Find out what it’s really like - Student of the Year Louise Herron explains why she couldn’t wait to get back to Ayrshire College. Click here to read the blog.
- Be wowed by our End of Year Show - Creative Candy features students from across the department including fashion, music, sound production and performing arts. Click here to watch the video.