If you’d like to work in the fitness industry, this is the course for you, as it covers all the key aspects of fitness, health and exercise.
On successful completion, you’ll meet the required industry standard to become REPS (Register of Exercise Professionals) Level 2 accredited, effectively providing you with the correct qualification for working within any gym/exercise facility. (Completion of the HND Year 2 course will take this to REPS Level 3 Personal Trainer.)
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in sport and fitness
- Two Highers OR a pass in a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 6
- An interview with us*
- To become a member of the PVG scheme
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
*If you submit a detailed application and meet the minimum entry qualifications, you may be offered a place without the need for an interview.
If you don’t have the minimum entry qualifications, you may wish to consider a lower level course such as Advanced Sport and Fitness.
You’ll spend time in our fitness suites and facilities, learning how to safely and competently instruct your clients within a gym environment. However, there’s also a substantial amount of theory and written elements, so be prepared to spend time in the classroom as well as self-study.
You’ll have the chance to:
- gain hands on, industry led experience, through a weekly placement with a community partner (eg local gyms, Active Schools, community initiatives). You’ll hone your skills in a real life exercise and fitness environment, helping others make the most of active lifestyle choices.
- learn top tips for success from people who work in the industry, such as Leisure Trusts and private gym/performance facilities.
You’ll also be encouraged to extend your industry work and volunteering outwith college, to maximise your chances of networking and employment.
Here’s some more on what you’ll be doing:
- Gym Based Exercise Sessions - the gym will become your second home, as you learn to plan, teach and evaluate sessions, to give your clients the best service possible.
- Exercise Physiology and Anatomy - you’ll learn how the body works so you can help your clients get the best results.
- Flexibility Training, Core Strength and Posture - "It’s all in the core" - you'll learn how to build from the core, the centre of a strong physique, and also develop power through stretching.
- Managing a Sport/Fitness Event - you’ll work with your team to design your own fun fitness event.
- Inclusive Sports Provision - you’ll learn how to provide safe and effective sports coaching to those with disabilities.
- First Aid for Sport and Fitness - you’ll learn how to deal with numerous emergencies and save a life if needs be.
- You’ll also look at health and safety, health screening prior to exercise and nutrition.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HND Fitness, Health and Exercise (Year 2). On completion of the HND, you may be able to progress into 2nd or 3rd year of a degree course at university such as Sport Coaching and Sports Development.
- Seeking to start your career. On completion of your HND you will be ideally placed to move directly into industry employment thanks to REPS (Register of Exercise Professionals) accreditation. Possible roles include Gym Instructor, Gym/Fitness Suite Management, Personal Training, Fitness Class leader (including extensive self-employed opportunities), Active Schools Co-ordinator or Sport/Health Promotion Role.