If you’d like to work in a sport or exercise support capacity, this is the course for you, as it covers all the key aspects of sports and exercise science, including Sport Psychology and Mechanics.
On successful completion, you’ll meet the required industry standard to become REPS (Register of Exercise Professionals) Level 2 accredited, effectively providing you with the correct qualification for working within any gym/exercise facility.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in sport and fitness
- Two Highers OR a pass in a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 6
- An interview with us
- To become a member of the PVG scheme
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
You’ll spend time in our fitness suites and facilities, learning how to safely and competently instruct, analyse and test your clients within a gym/practical environment. However, there’s also a substantial amount of theory and written elements (especially in Year 2) so be prepared to spend time in the classroom as well as self-study – some topics are very challenging!
You’ll have the chance to:
- gain hands on, industry led experience through external sport and fitness events.
- learn top tips for success from people who work in the industry eg Glasgow School of Sport, Strength and Conditioning experts.
You’ll also be encouraged to extend your industry work and volunteering outwith college, to maximise your chances of networking and employment.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Psychology of Exercise - keeping to your exercise plan is difficult! You’ll learn how to best work with your clients so they stick to it.
- Supporting Talented Sports Performers - you’ll learn how to successfully navigate the complicated world of National Governing Bodies, sports funding and the route to excellence.
- Exercise Physiology and Anatomy - you’ll learn how the body works so you can help your clients get the best results.
- Sports Mechanics - you’ll develop knowledge of biomechanics to help your performer move more effectively and generate more speed/power.
- Gym Based Exercise Sessions - the gym will become your second home, as you learn to plan, teach and evaluate sessions, to give your clients the best service possible.
- Body Massage - you’ll develop skills in massage techniques to help your participants, setting you aside from other Sport HN students.
- You’ll also look at health and safety, health screening prior to exercise and nutrition.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HND Applied Sports and Exercise Science (Year 2).
On completion of the HND, there are excellent progression opportunities into 3rd year of a degree course at university such as BSc Sport Science. There are also routes towards Physiotherapy degrees, but entry is at the discretion of the chosen university.
- Seeking to start your career. On completion of your HND you will be ideally placed to move directly into industry employment thanks to REPS (Register of Exercise Professionals) accreditation. Possible roles include Fitness Testing Support, Athlete Support, Active Schools Co-ordinator, Sport/Health Promotion Roles, Gym Instructor, Gym/Fitness Suite Management or Primary/Secondary Teaching (following progression to degree and post graduate study).