If you’ve recently left school but don’t yet know what you’d like to do in life, this course is for you. It will give you a taste of a whole range of possible employment areas, while offering you the chance to experience college life.
You’ll come to college 3 days a week and will be in a supported environment.
This course is all about preparing you for life after school – building skills, developing your confidence and helping you decide what your future goals are. Most of all, it lets you see choice of different workplaces out there.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll look at a wide range of vocational areas (workplaces) from trades like joinery and painting and decorating, to motor vehicles, sport, hair and beauty, fashion, early years education or electrical engineering. You’ll visit each department, hear first hand what it’s like to work in these areas and find out how to get started.
- You’ll go on a work placement, probably in the college somewhere, to see what it’s like in the real working world.
- You’ll develop key skills to get you ready for work, such as computing, literacy and numeracy.
- You’ll develop good habits for the working world, like attendance and time-keeping.
- You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a full time Level 4 course in a supported environment, such as Routes to Careers – IT or Routes to Careers – Retail
- Moving onto a part time Level 2 course such as Connect to Community – Creativity or Connect to Community – Eco-awareness