For entry to this course you’ll need:
A real interest in theatre production
A minimum of one relevant Higher, plus Core Skills at SCQF Level 6 OR
a relevant NC course or NPA at SCQF Level 6 in Technical Theatre or equivalent such as NC Sound Production, NC Music or NC Acting and Performance. (We would also be interested in applicants who have a background at Level 6.)
An interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have relevant experience or training, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course is delivered as part of Year 1 of BA in Technical Theatre at UWS. Having worked through a relevant NC or gained experience from working in other productions, this course starts to formalise your training in all aspects of Technical Production.
Through work experience and classroom/training theatre scenarios, you’ll develop a professional knowledge that will propel you to either HND or employment in the business.
Here’s more on what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll develop skills and knowledge in set construction and painting, including materials, techniques and construction methods for creating a theatre set.
- You’ll develop skills in stage lighting, including the design, rigging, focusing and operating processes within a stage production.
- You’ll develop skills in sound for performance. You’ll learn how to plan sound equipment requirements, set up a sound system, record and edit sound effects, and operate a theatre sound system for a performance.
- You’ll learn about Audio Visual technologies for performance and gain practical experience in AV for live events. This includes sourcing and preparing AV materials, assembling an AV playback system, and rigging/focusing a video projector.
- You’ll learn about digital audio workstations, and how to record and manipulate audio and MIDI signals for sound production.
- You’ll look at what’s involved in stage management, from pre-production phase, through rehearsal and technical/dress, to the run and post-production.
You’ll also have the opportunity to volunteer with the Gaiety Theatre in Ayr.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HND Technical Theatre
- Moving onto a relevant degree course at university
- Seeking to start your career in Technical Theatre. There are many unfulfilled vacancies nationally and internationally in Technical Theatre and most students find work either while at College or soon after.
Possible careers include: Lighting Operator, Sound Operator, Set Designer, Stage Manager, Assistant Stage Manager, Event Organiser, Production Specialist, Broadcast Engineer (lighting, sound, production), Lighting Director, Sound Designer, Stage Crew, Runner, Front of House Crew, Make-up Artist.
- Training as a Drama Teacher eg Post Graduate Diploma Education at Edinburgh University, Glasgow University or Strathclyde University.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- From HND to ABC – hear how Technical Theatre student James Gaffney landed his dream job at Glasgow’s O2. Click here to read the blog.
- One of a kind – discover why our Technical Theatre programme is the best in Scotland. Click here to read the blog.
- Find out what it’s really like - staff and students open up about our Technical Theatre courses. Click here to watch the video.
- Be wowed by our Creative Department’s end of year show - Creative Candy features fashion, hair, make-up, photography, music, sound production and performing arts students. Click here to watch the video.