Your course will incorporate units at SCQF Level 5 and 6 in order to ensure a smooth progression towards higher level sport and fitness units/qualifications.
If you’re into sport and fitness and are thinking about a future career in the sport or fitness industry, this course can help you get started.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in sport and fitness
- National 4s or an NC at SCQF Level 4 and ideally you should hold some National 5 qualifications
- An interview with us
- To become a member of the PVG scheme
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course gives you a good introduction to sport and fitness, with a particular focus on the fitness industry, its opportunities and what you’ll need for a successful career in it.
You’ll spend most of your time in our fitness suites and sports facilities, both indoor and outdoor. Motivation and participation is essential, and you’ll work alongside your peers, gaining confidence and developing leadership skills.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Contemporary Fitness and Exercise Training - ever tried spin, HIIT or plyometrics? It all sounds a bit painful, but you'll love it!
- Planning Personal Fitness - you’ll create a plan to improve your own level of fitness. How tough will you be on yourself?
- Nutrition, Health and Wellbeing - "You are what you eat", so let’s find out what’s best for your body.
- Sports Activities - you’ll develop your own skills in football, badminton and volleyball so you can coach them effectively.
- Circuit Training - you’ll improve your own fitness with exercise for your whole body, featuring every component of fitness training.
- Resistance Training - it’s all about Push and Pull, as you safely train those muscles for strength.
- Teamwork through Sport and Recreation - "Teamwork makes the dream work". We all need the support of a team to ensure success, and you’ll practise this through a range of activities.
- Developing Leadership within Physical Activities - you’ll plan your own short coaching session to try and improve your players.
- Citizenship through Sport and Fitness - you’ll have the chance to volunteer in your local community, making you more employable and successful.
- Human Anatomy, Physiology and Physical Activities - you’ll learn about bones, muscles and breathing, and how it all works.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 6 course such as Advanced Sports and Fitness or, with outstanding achievement, an HNC such as HNC Coaching and Developing Sport
- Exploring your future career options such as Active Schools opportunities, Sports Coach opportunities or Leisure Centre roles.
With additional qualifications at Level 6 or HNC/D Level (Level 7/8), other career options will become possible.