It offers direct access to a range of college and university science courses after one year of study. While on the course, you’ll develop your knowledge of various science subjects and increase your confidence too.
Ayrshire College is an ideal choice for studying science:
- We have STEM Assured Status which means we have been recognised for the quality of our Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths courses.
- We’re an educational partner of Glasgow Science Centre.
- We won Training Partner of the Year at the prestigious SEMTA (Science, Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies Alliance) Skills Awards in 2017.
For entry to this course you don’t need any formal qualifications, just an interview with us.
In Human Biology, you’ll focus on four main topics:
- Human Cells (stem cells, somatic and germline cells, cancer cells)
- Physiology and Health (reproductive organs and gametes)
- Neurobiology and Communication (the nervous system and the brain)
- Immunology and Public Health (defences, infectious diseases and immunisation)
There are four in Chemistry too:
- Chemical Changes and Structure (controlling reaction rates and periodic trends)
- Researching Chemistry (the relevance of chemical theory to everyday life)
- Nature’s Chemistry (food and everyday products such as soaps, detergents and skincare)
- Chemistry in Society (industrial production of products)
You’ll also look at areas of physics, such as Waves and Optics, and Radioactivity; forensic science techniques and maths units at National 5 level.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto an HNC/D or degree level science course.
- Exploring your career options in life sciences.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR VIDEO
- Click here to watch My Learning Journey video.