When we look good, we feel good and as we know, our personal well-being is vital to good health. Beauty Therapy professionals play an important role in this by helping us to look and feel our best. They also get to be part of a diverse and ever evolving industry, which is both rewarding and challenging to work in.
To be successful in this profession you must be caring, creative, committed and hardworking. You’ll also need to be self-motivated, a good team player and enjoy working with people. If you’re interested in taking the first steps on this exciting career path, this is the course for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in beauty and make-up
- Four National 4s or equivalent OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4, such as Personal and Vocational Skills (Hairdressing, Beauty and Make-Up) or equivalent
- To go through an interview process with us, including a group interview, interview task and one-to-one interview
- To be aged 16 or over
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
The course gives you a great introduction to skin and body care, including treatments for hands and feet. You’ll also be encouraged to gain valuable work experience through helping with community and college events.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Facial Skincare - you’ll learn how to perform a basic routine including cleansing, toning, moisturising, eyebrow tweezing and applying a mask.
- Make-Up: you’ll develop skills in basic and day, make-up, as well as learning corrective techniques, such as shading and hi-lighting, to enhance appearance.
- Manicure - you’ll learn how to perform a professional manicure and polish, including correct procedures for time, sequence and application.
- Massage - you’ll learn how to perform a back, neck and shoulder massage, developing different techniques for a range of effects, such as relaxation or to ease aches and pains.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons
- Taking part in competitions
- Hearing from industry speakers
- Volunteering for community events, like performing manicures for charity
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto Jan start Beauty Care & Make-up
After this you’ll have the option of moving onto a Level 6 course such as NC Beauty Care, NC Wellness Therapies or SVQ Nail Services @ SCQF Level 6
- Exploring your future career options. With additional qualifications this could include: Salon Beauty Therapist, Spa Therapist, Self-employed Beauty Therapist/Salon Owner, Beauty Therapist on board a cruise ship, Beauty Therapist Trainer/Educator or Nail Technician
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOG & VIDEO
- Skills on show - Beauty students get creative in campus competition. Click here to read the blog.
- ‘Amazing opportunities’ - discover why Kelly McCann believes Ayrshire College is best for Beauty. Click here to read the blog.
- Treat yourself at our training salons - see what’s on offer at our commercial hair, beauty and nail salons in Kilwinning, Kilmarnock and Ayr. Click here to read our blog.
- See our Beauty students getting creative in the campus competition. Click here to view the photographs.