For entry to this course, you’ll need to have:
- A real interest in patisserie and confectionery
- NC Bakery (Level 5) or a relevant SCQF award at Level 6 such as Advanced Professional Cookery
It’s also really valuable if you can gain experience of working in the industry with part-time employment while you’re on this course.
Imagine the best afternoon tea you could ever dream off – a divine selection of pastries and cakes, tantalising chocolate treats, and melt in the mouth meringues, all presented to the very highest of standards. On this course, you’ll learn how to make this happen, developing skills and techniques to create top quality patisserie and confectionery products.
- You’ll learn everything possible to do with dough - from croissants and complex breads such as focaccia and ciabatta, to tuile (French wafer biscuits) and tart tatin.
- You’ll create a fabulous selection of hot and cold desserts, from sorbets to soufflés, ice cream to egg custards, French vacherin to Italian meringue.
- You’ll develop advanced skills in chocolate, creating delicious handmade confectionery, stunning centre pieces and models, and sumptuous ganache.
- You’ll learn professional techniques, top industry tips and how to present and serve your products for people to buy - you’ll even get the chance to do this in our live baker’s shop on campus or in our new Inver training restaurant.
- You’ll find out what you need to know to successfully work in the industry - from food hygiene to safety - and go on real-life work experience.
- You’ll also have the opportunity to take part in national competitions, such as the Student Team Challenge, or the International World Skills.
- You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
- Finally, we’ll help you develop your skills for employment, including Level 6 communication, working as part of a team and preparing for interview.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HNC Professional Cookery to develop your practical skills even further
- Moving onto HNC Hospitality if you’re considering a career as a manager in the hospitality industry
- Seeking to start your career in a wide range of patisserie or confectionary roles