If you’re interested in a career in fashion, this course can help get you on your way. It will prepare you for progression to a higher level of study, trainee level employment or even setting up your own business.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in fashion and current trends
- A good level of creativity and an eye for design
- Four National 5s or equivalent OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent
- An interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat. You’ll need to bring a portfolio of your work if you’re coming for interview.
This course gives you a great foundation in the key skills areas of fashion design and garment manufacture.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll discover how to see into the future with fashion forecasting and WGSN, the world authority on trend forecasting and analytics.
- You’ll develop skills in digital fashion illustration, using the Kaledo software adopted by the fashion industry to design garment collections.
- You’ll look at pattern construction, learning to create pattern blocks and developing skills in pattern production for garments.
- You’ll learn how to use industrial sewing machines and develop skills to produce a range of garments.
You’ll also have the chance to:
- Use your design, pattern and manufacturing skills to produce a creation for the End of Year Fashion Show.
- Take part in competitions with external partners – previously this has included designing jewellery for local retailer Cherry Soda and creating a tartan throw for WestPoint Homes.
- Go fabric shopping in Glasgow to find what you need for your next creation.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HNC/D Fashion Design and Production with Retail
- Exploring your future career options including: Stylist, Buyer, Blogger, Designer,
Pattern Cutter, Garment Technologist, Import or Retail Merchandiser, Visual Merchandiser, Marketing Assistant, Retail Assistant/Manager.
With additional qualifications, you may be able to progress to a degree programme within fashion or retail, such as International Fashion Branding or International Fashion Business at Glasgow Caledonian University (possibly via our articulation arrangements), or fashion courses at e.g. Glasgow School or Art, Edinburgh School of Art, Gray’s School of Art in Aberdeen or London College of Fashion.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Tartan triumph - see how our students won over Westpoint Homes with their fabulous tartan designs. Click here to read the blog.
- Next stop London - HND Fashion student secures a place at the prestigious London College of Fashion. Click here to read the blog.
- Find out what it’s really like - from self belief to friends for life and an internship with Ted Baker - David Collins shares his experiences of HND Fashion with Retail. Click here to read the blog.
- Be wowed by our End of Year Show - Creative Candy features students from fashion, hair, make-up, photography, music, sound production and performing arts. Click here to watch the video.