If you’re interested in a career in health or social care, then this course can help you on your way. This fast track programme offers you a broad perspective across key areas to prepare you for your next progression route or employment.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in working with people
- Five relevant National 5s or equivalent including English and OR a recent and relevant NC course at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent, such as NC Health and Social Care
- An interview with us
- A satisfactory reference
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course develops your knowledge and understanding for working successfully in a care practice setting. The focus is on understanding why people use care services, and developing your skills to support the health and wellbeing of others.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll explore the health and social care provision available in Scotland to meet people’s needs. You’ll look at identifying people’s needs, legislation and promoting positive care environment and practice.
- You’ll discover how social influences can impact on people and their life chances. You’ll look at what society can do to improve the life chances of individuals using care services.
- You’ll look at human development and behaviour. You’ll explore different stages of development across the life span, the effects of life experiences on people, and psychological concepts to understand behaviour.
- You’ll look at the causes, symptoms and effects of stress, along with techniques and coping strategies to help manage it.
- You’ll develop an understanding of mental health and mental illness. You’ll look at the difference between the two, current perceptions, effects on behaviour and treatment.
- You’ll learn about caring for people with dementia, including understanding dementia, skills and strategies to meet the needs of dementia sufferers, and how to support carers.
Throughout the course, you’ll hear from a range of guest speakers, including people from the health board and local care services.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
Moving onto an HNC course such as:
- HNC Social Services
- HNC Care and Administrative Practice
- HNC Working with Communities or HNC Social Science
- SVQ2 Health and Social Services
Seeking to start your career in the Care Sector with employment as a:
- Support Worker
- Home Care Worker or
- Care Assistant