Courses at Ayrshire College
College students graduate at North Ayrshire ceremony
Ayrshire College students celebrated their graduation in style at the Abbey Church in Kilwinning on Friday 10 November.
Students who finished HNC and HND courses at the Kilwinning Campus this summer were joined by students from the Skills Centre of Excellence, based at Irvine Royal Academy, for the North Ayrshire ceremony.
More than 180 graduates were joined by their family, friends and lecturers for the special occasion.
The Abbey Church is the regular host of the Ayrshire College graduation. After the ceremony the graduates made the traditional procession from the church back to the Kilwinning Campus, as people lined the streets to applaud them for their hard work.
Back at the College, the graduates and their visitors were treated to a buffet before they got their photographs taken to mark the occasion.
Ayrshire College hands out special recognition to a small selection of students at every graduation ceremony, based on lecturer nominations. ‘Student of the Year’ prizewinners receive a trophy for their hard work over the year, while other trophies are handed out for ‘Making a Difference in the Community’ and ‘Outstanding Achievement’.
The College revealed the winners of these awards before the ceremony on its social media channels.
However the Overall Student of the Year prize was announced on the day of the graduation - with the winner not aware that she was collecting the award.
Lauren Gilbert, HND Coaching and Developing Sport graduated, deservedly collected the Overall Student of the Year for the Kilwinning graduation.
Lauren volunteered tirelessly in the community with North Ayrshire Active Schools during her time at the College. She coached local basketball and hockey teams, organised golf and handball events, and even led the Dalry Community Sports Club Summer Camp.
Full list of Kilwinning graduation prizewinners:
- Student of the Year - Arts, Fashion and Media: Cara Neville
- Student of the Year - Business, Administration and Accounts: Caroline Balfour
- Student of the Year - Care: Melanie Miller Student of the Year - Early Years: Tracy McFadden
- Student of the Year - Engineering and Science: Adam Hamilton
- Student of the Year - Hair and Beauty: Lisa Boyd
- Student of the Year - IT: Connor Unwin
- Student of the Year - Social Science: Elizabeth Tait
- Student of the Year - Sports: Lauren Gilbert
- Making a Difference in the Community: Adrienne Thomson
- Outstanding Achievement - Joint winner: Laura Gallagher
- Outstanding Achievement - Joint winner: Mark Hudson