Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Access to HNC Beauty Therapy (Level 6)
SCQFComparable to Level 6
To be successful in the Beauty industry you must be passionate about what you do, caring, creative, and committed.
You’ll also need to be self-motivated, a good team player, and enjoy working with people. If you’re interested in a career in the exciting world of beauty, this course is for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- An interest in beauty therapy
- Four National 5s or equivalent OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent
- To submit an online application, complete all sections, including the personal statement. We may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend a telephone interview.
- To be 16 or over.
If you don’t have formal qualifications but have life experience, then we will consider you for a place. Please contact us using the 'contact' button if you would like advice.
This course offers a great foundation for starting your Beauty studies. You will develop existing skills if you’re progressing from Level 5. Most units are both practical and theory based. You’ll will have a chance to work on paying clients in our commercial salon.
Here’s some of what you may study:
- Nail finishes - shaping, improving cuticles, nail polishing and basic hand massage.
- Eye enhancements - lash and brow tinting, brow shaping and how to apply false eyelashes.
- Waxing - warm waxing (facial and body areas.)
- Body massage - full body massage, through a range of techniques
- Facial treatments - customising treatments for individual client requirements.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons.
- Work experience.
- Taking part in competitions such as World Skills.
- Hearing from industry speakers.
- Volunteering for community events, like performing manicures for charity.
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
You’ll build transferable skills to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
- When you complete this course, you may progress to:
- A Level 7 course such as HNC Beauty or HNC Complementary Therapies
Exploring your future career options which could include:
- Salon Beauty Therapist
- Spa Therapist
- Self-employed Beauty Therapist/Salon Owner
- Beauty Therapist on board a cruise ship
- Beauty Therapist Trainer/Educator
- Nail Technician
OUR TRAINING SALONS
You may be working in our training salons. See what’s on offer at our commercial hair, beauty and nail salons in Kilwinning, Kilmarnock and Ayr.