Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Access to HNC Beauty Therapy (Level 6)
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in beauty therapy
- Four National 5s or equivalent OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To be aged 16 or over
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat
This course offers a great foundation for starting your Beauty studies, and also develops existing skills if you’re progressing from Level 5. Most units both practical and theory based. You’ll will have a chance to work on paying clients in our commercial salon. You’ll also be encouraged to work part-time in a salon or spa to gain valuable work experience while you complete your studies.
Here’s just some of what you may study:
- Nail finishes - you’ll develop skills in shaping, improving the appearance of cuticles, nail polishing and basic hand massage.
- Eye enhancements - you’ll learn skills in eyelash and eyebrow tinting, eyebrow shaping and how to apply false eyelashes.
- Waxing - you’ll develop your skills in warm waxing, to include a range of facial and body areas.
- Body massage - you’ll learn how to perform a full body massage, through a range of techniques to meet the aims of different treatment plans.
- Facial treatments - you’ll develop skills in customising treatments for individual client requirements.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons.
- Going on work experience.
- Taking part in competitions such as World Skills.
- Hearing from industry speakers.
- Volunteering for community events, like performing manicures for charity.
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
When you successfully complete this course, you may progress to:
A Level 7 course such as HNC Beauty or HNC Complementary Therapies
Exploring your future career options which could include:
- Salon Beauty Therapist
- Spa Therapist
- Self-employed Beauty Therapist/Salon Owner
- Beauty Therapist on board a cruise ship
- Beauty Therapist Trainer/Educator
- Nail Technician
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Man in the Mirror - hairdressing student Martin McClusky shares his experiences of the hairdressing industry and his career so far. Click here to read the blog.
- Salon Services Summer School - top supplier offers students incentives to improve skills over the holidays. Click here to read the blog.
- Find out what it’s really like - Students of the Year Anneliese Burnett and Debbie Campbell share their experiences of studying Hairdressing at Ayrshire College and what they plan to do next:
OUR TRAINING SALONS
You may be working in our training salons - see what’s on offer at our commercial hair, beauty and nail salons in Kilwinning, Kilmarnock and Ayr.