BIIAB Personal Licence Holder (PLH)
Attendance / Duration
Ayr Campus - This is a one day course available throughout the year.
1 day + Exam (9:00am - 5:30pm)
Cost & ITA Funding
ITA Funding is available for this course, click here to apply!
To find out more about ITA Funding please visit our ITA Page.
Book / Enquiry
Thursday 20th April - Course Full
Monday 19th June - Book here
To be added to our waiting list for upcoming courses please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Bookings for this course must be completed 2 weeks prior to the start of the course.
To undertake this course, you must be 18 years old with proof of ID. This course is for anyone who manages premises where alcohol is sold, including bar managers, convenience store managers and supermarkets. It’s also useful if you want to improve your employability for working in licensed premises.
The Licensing (Scotland) Act states that anyone who authorises the sale of alcohol to the public must hold a personal licence. This means the Premises Manager must apply to their local council to be certified as a Personal Licence Holder. When you enrol for this course, you’ll be sent a handbook five days in advance which you must read over beforehand. On the day of the course, you’ll work through this handbook and at the end, you’ll sit a multiple-choice question paper.
Delegates must bring Proof of Identification on the day of course, completion of the course and certification will not be processed without suitable ID on the day.
- The roles, responsibilities and functions of licensing authorities within the framework of the licensing objectives
- The application process for a personal licence
- The role and legal responsibilities of the personal licence holder, and the penalties relating to failure to comply with the law
- The premises licence
- The content and purpose of operating schedules
- The role and duties of the designated premises supervisor
- Unauthorised and temporary licensable activities
- Rights of entry to licensed premises
- Police powers in regard to suspension and closure of licensed premises
- The specific prohibitions for the sale of alcohol
- The strengths of alcoholic drinks, and the effects of alcohol on the human body
- The protection of children from harm
- The responsible retail sale of alcohol
On successful completion, you’ll receive the BIIAB SCPLH certificate. You can then apply to the council to be authorised as a Personal Licence Holder.
19 Jun 2023