City and Guilds Certificate in Construction Skills (Plumbing)
Short full-time, 18 weeks
Plumbing is one of several trades, which supports the massive industry known as construction - the building of houses, commercial premises (like shops, hotels or offices) and industrial premises (like factories or warehouses). Other trades within construction include bricklaying, carpentry and joinery painting and decorating. Skilled tradespeople usually find themselves in high demand - from homeowners as well as industry - so if you invest in your abilities now, you could have a great future ahead!
If you’d like to learn a trade, then this course is a great place to start. All our trades staff are highly skilled and experienced, and fully committed to sharing their expertise and knowledge with you. Ayrshire College is also recognised as a Centre of Excellence by SNIPEF [Scottish and Northern Island Plumbing Employers Federation] so there really is no better place for men and women to come and learn a trade!
While you don't need any formal qualifications or experience for entry to this course, completion of the Semester 1 Award Course would be an advantage. You must have a real interest in construction and in particular, painting and decorating. If you are not progressing from the Semester 1 award course you’ll also need to come in for interview.
This is a real practical based course which gives you a great introduction to the skills of plumbing. The focus will be on learning how to use tools and equipment in a safe and suitable manner. You’ll also learn about various aspects of working successfully in the trade.
- We’ll help you develop your skills for employment, such as working as part of a team.
- You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
Here's just some of what you might be doing:
- You’ll start by getting to know the tools of the trade for measuring, cutting and fixing
- You’ll then learn to construct basic joints in different types of pipework such as plastic, copper and mild steel. How to remove and re-fit a radiator, install rain water goods and installation of kitchen appliances
- You’ll learn how to complete some basic electrical work which includes a ring main for electrical sockets together with installing lighting circuits
- You’ll have the chance to put your new skills into action, with a real craft project. This might be in the local community or it might be a project you carry out in college - whatever the project, we’ll make sure employers get to see your project and the new skills you’ve now got
- Along the way, you’ll explore the construction industry as a whole, the different trades within construction, the huge variety of roles and who does what on a project. You’ll also learn about health and safety, to avoid putting yourself or anyone else at risk of an accident.
When you successfully complete this course, you can:
Move onto a NPA Building Services in Engineering with Plumbing at SCQF Level 5.