Connect to Learning (Alternative Version)
Full-time, one year
This course is for young people who have recently left school and who might find the pace and timetabling of other college courses very difficult to maintain without additional support. It offers students a high level of support and nurturing, while creating independence. This course meets the needs of applicants who have a learning disability and/or are on the Autistic Spectrum.
Students come to college 3 days a week and will achieve a qualification at SCQF Level 2.
This course focuses on helping students become more independent in their learning, life and work. It helps them make the transition from school and become familiar with college life.
The emphasis is on helping students prepare for study at the next level (Connect to Careers), and there’s a more academic feel than Connect to Enterprise.
Here’s just some of what students will be doing:
- Developing important skills such as working with others, solving problems and being effective communicators to help them on their learning journey.
- Developing employability skills through working on projects that allow students to apply their learning to real-life situations.
- Working on written elements to measure progress and express themselves.
- Taking part in drama performances to help build confidence and social skills.
- Developing their creative skills by producing craft products and selling them through enterprise projects.
- Learning about money and time through lifeskills maths.
- Developing business skills in customer care and catering/retail.
- Focusing on personal achievement in areas such as healthy eating, enterprise or exploring a local area.
- You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
In everything they do, students will be developing their core skills such as communication, numeracy and ICT.
On successful completion of this course, students can consolidate their learning with a range of full time and part time courses within our supportive environment:
Full time (3 days/18 hours per week):
- Connect to Enterprise (Level 2)
- Connect to Careers (Level 3)
Part time Level 2 course (6 hours per week):
- Connect to Community: Eco
- Connect to Community: Creativity
- Connect to Community: Fit For Life
- Connect to Community: Moving on
Students can choose one of these part time courses per year.