Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Current Beauty Specialist
Course AvailabilityPlease note this course is accepting applications for waiting list only for all of our campuses
Comparable to Level 5
Full time, one year
Ayr, Kilmarnock and Kilwinning
The demand for aesthetic beauty just keeps on growing, with the creative world of the beauty industry expanding almost daily. If you ever dream of providing flawless Manicures or Nail Enhancements, alongside providing fashion Make Up or eye enhancements treatments or even spray tans this is the course for you. It’s led by highly knowledgeable and experienced professionals who are as passionate about beauty as you are, as well as up to speed with the latest industry developments. For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in aesthetics beauty service
- Four National 4s or equivalent OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4 or equivalent
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To be aged 16 or over
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course introduces you to the practical skills involved in aesthetic beauty while giving you the knowledge you’ll need to work in a commercial salon. You’ll also be encouraged to gain valuable work experience while you complete your studies.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Manicures - you’ll learn to perform a full treatment, including shaping, skin and cuticle treatments, hand massage, and applying the perfect finish.
- Nail enhancements - you'll receive a basic introduction in a nail enhancement system.
- Nail art - you’ll learn how to create different types of designs on hands and feet using techniques such as wraps, glitters, marbling and freehand.
- Eyebrows and eyelashes - you’ll learn how to enhance eyebrows and lashes, through shaping with tweezers, tinting and temporary colour and extensions.
- Make-Up - you’ll learn how to apply a variety of looks, such as natural, evening and special occasions, and to different skin types, conditions, tones and age groups.
- Self Tanning - you’ll learn how to apply spray tans
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons
- Taking part in in-house competitions
- Hearing from industry speakers
- Volunteering for community events, like performing manicures for charity
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto SVQ 3 Nails, NC Level 6 Beauty, NC Level 6 Make-Up Artistry or seeking to start your career as a Creative Beauty Specialist
OUR TRAINING SALONS
- See what’s on offer at our commercial hair, beauty and nail salons in Kilwinning, Kilmarnock and Ayr. Click here to read our blog.