Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
SCQF LevelComparable to SCQF Level 5/6
Attendance/DurationShort Full-time, 18 weeks
Make-up Artistry is a hugely exciting and diverse industry to work in. Professional make-up artists create and produce the latest make-up trends and hair styles within fashion, TV, film and theatre production.
If you’ve got passion, drive, creativity, a commitment to work hard, a high level of motivation and are a good team player who enjoys working with others, then make-up artistry is for you.
For entry to this course you need:
- A real interest in make-up
- Four National 4s or equivalent, ideally including English and Art & Design OR a relevant SCQF Level course.
- To show various samples of your artwork or photographic evidence of make-up. Please send this evidence for Ayr campus applications direct to email@example.com Kilwinning campus application direct to firstname.lastname@example.org when you are submitting your course application.
- Hairdressing experience would also be an advantage.
To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place
This course offers a great introduction to Fashion Make-Up, giving you the chance to unleash your creativity in hair and make-up. It’s fun, fascinating and completely industry led, developing both your practical skills and technical knowledge.
Here’s just some of what you may study:
- Make-up trends - you’ll advance your basic make up techniques to create wearable looks.
- Creative Make up techniques such as Instagram looks. Advancing your skills to create more extravagant looks.
- Fashion Hair looks such as plait and twist and curls.
- Advanced brow and lash techniques.
You’ll also have the chance to:
- Go on commercial experiences, such as local theatre productions, fashion shows and photo shoots.
- Volunteer in the community, providing services like prom make-up or face painting.
- Take part in competitions such as World Skills and AHT.
- Learn from demonstrations by industry suppliers and guest make-up artist.
When you successfully complete this course, you may progress to :
Level 6 Make Up Artistry or HNC Make up Artistry if you have excelled on this course and Make -Up Artistry is an area of interest.
Exploring your career options and move into the industry which could include:
- Retail Make-up Consultant with a high street cosmetic brand
- Setting up your own Fashion Make -up business, depending on your own area of interest.