Foundation Apprenticeship Business Skills (Marr College) Level 6
East, North and South Ayrshire
This course is for school pupils only
Course available - click Register your Interest button if you are interested in this course
Marr College – Duration - one year
Tuesday - Work Placement
Thursday - 9:00 - 4:00
Who is the course for
Every type of business and organisation needs people with business administration and IT skills to help it run efficiently. This ranges from small specialist firms to large national
companies and government organisations like local councils. If you invest in some good business and IT skills now, you could have a great future ahead!
You can choose a Foundation Apprenticeship in Business Skills as one of your school subject choices. The course takes 1 year to complete, in S5 or S6.
You’ll spend part of your week learning in the classroom and also go out on work placement.
Don’t worry about getting to and from college/employer – all your transport will be organised and paid for too.
Arrangements for work placements will be organised in accordance with COVID government guidance.
What is the course about
This course lets you find out what a career in business would really be like - and if it’s right for you.
- A National Progression Award (NPA) in Business Skills (SCQF level 6)
- A Contemporary Business Issues unit
- Four units of an SVQ in Business and Administration (SCQF level 6)
NPA in Business Skills will cover the following topics:
- Understanding Business
- Management of People and Finance
- PC Passport: Working with IT Software – Word Processing and Presenting Information
- PC Passport: Working with IT Software – Spreadsheet and Database
- Contemporary Business Issues
- Work Placement
You’ll complete the units of your SVQ in Business and Administration mainly in the workplace, as part of your placement. You’ll learn how to:
- Plan, manage and improve your own performance in a business environment
- Communicate in a business environment
- Support other people to work in a business environment
- Design and produce documents in a business environment
Your Foundation Apprenticeship will also help you to develop core skills valued by employers, particularly:
- Problem solving
- Working with others
- Time management
These transferrable skills are necessary for working in a range of other related jobs.
What do I need
For a place on this course, you’ll need:
- National 5 Maths and English
- A keen interest in working in the Business Skills sector
How will I be assessed
The NPA Units are assessed in college and the SVQ units are assessed in the work placement. These assessments are practical – you’ll carry out tasks and your assessor will observe you and say when you have shown that you can do them out correctly. You’ll also keep a logbook. Your Assessor will visit you regularly to make sure you’re doing well and on track with your tasks.
You may progress to:
- HNC at College
- Modern Apprenticeship