HNC Architectural Technology and Sustainability (Infill)
All Ayrshire Schools
This is a course for school pupils
Monday and Wednesday
9:00 - 4:00
Who is the course for?
This course is highly contemporary and will give you the skills and knowledge you need to work successfully in an architectural technician’s role.
What is the course about?
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
You’ll develop skills in architectural design sketching and drawing. You’ll produce sketches of old and new buildings, and learn about scale, proportion, form, function and mass – all vital skills for architecture.
You’ll focus on the BIM process, using advanced CAD and ICT collaboration cloud based platforms, and discovering how digital technologies are integrated with the project lifecycle.
- You’ll learn how architectural design companies operate, including the architect’s duties and procedures to control construction costs.
- You’ll look at substructure, from site investigations through to ground improvements and building foundations.
- You’ll focus on construction technology, exploring techniques to build to specification for domestic and commercial construction, including walls, floors and roofs.
- You’ll learn about structural design and behaviour, as well as the statutory and legislative constraints to the design of buildings and the built environment.
- You’ll look at common building services in commercial, industrial and high rise buildings. This includes installation techniques for hot and cold water supply, electricity, HVAC, fire prevention and lift installations.
- You’ll carry out practical tasks, such as testing materials and conducting a levelling survey between two known benchmarks.
You may also have the chance to:
- Go on a work placement, via our links with industry employers such as LMA Architects or Denham Benn.
- Go on site visits, such as the Construction Scotland Innovation Centre.
What do I need?
For entry to this course you’ll need: A minimum of one relevant Higher, ideally English, Math or a Science subject OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 6, or Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering, or equivalent.
If you don’t have any formal qualifications, but have appropriate experience or other training, we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is on an ongoing basis and will include practical sessions as well as theory, using the new skills you’ve learned throughout the course.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto an HND in Architectural Technology.
- Moving onto a BSc in Architectural Technology at Napier University, BSc in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying at Glasgow Caledonian University (all direct entry to year 2). Please note a Grade B in Graded Unit is required for this
- Seeking to start your career in employment as an Architectural Technician.