Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
HNC Complementary Therapies
Course AvailabilityPlease note this course is accepting applications for waiting list only.
Full-time, one year
The practice of the complementary and holistic therapeutic approach has become extremely popular in the UK for supporting health and wellbeing. This can simply be an indulgent treatment experience at a spa or salon. However, it can also be used in the support and management of an individual coping with health issues, and in line with conventional medicine to bring an individual’s health back into balance.
If you want to learn and explore techniques for developing and promoting a healthy lifestyle, and to help others, then this course is for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in health and wellbeing
- A minimum of 1 Higher AND/OR
- a relevant SCQF Level 6 qualification or equivalent such as NC Beauty Care or NC Wellness Therapies
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To be over 16.
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course explores how the body works in health and how to maintain wellbeing. As well as developing your practical skills in our commercial training salon, there’s also a large theoretical element to give you essential knowledge and understanding.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Anatomy and physiology - you’ll explore the main body systems and look at the effects of various wellness therapies on these functions.
- Aromatherapy - you’ll learn about the physiological and psychological effects of aromatherapy massage and how essential oils enter the body, as well as develop skills in massage techniques.
- Reflexology - you’ll develop sound knowledge of the theory and history of reflexology, developing the practical skills required to perform professional reflexology treatments.
- Body massage - you’ll develop skills in manual and mechanical body massage, learning how to apply techniques such as the use of forearm and elbow, mechanical gyratory massage, audio sonic and heat treatments.
- Head massage - you’ll research the energetic principles in traditional Chinese, Thai and Indian head massage, and develop skills in these techniques.
- Health - you’ll explore a range of health perspectives and factors influencing health in today’s society.
- Clinic practice - you’ll prepare to work in a clinic setting, demonstrating your knowledge and skills through consulting, planning and performing Complementary Therapy treatments. You’ll look at ethical, legal, moral and professional concepts relating to therapeutic practice
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in placements
- Volunteering in the community such as Women’s Aid
- Helping at promotional events, like campus wellbeing days
- Hearing from industry speakers
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto HND Complementary Therapies
- Exploring your future career options which could include: Self-Employed Holistic Therapist, Holistic Therapist within a Spa, Holistic Clinical Practitioner or in a supporting role to conventional medicine in a clinical practice.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Positive partnership - Melissa starts off student work placements with Ayrshire Hospice. Click here to read the blog.
- See what’s on offer at our commercial hair, beauty and nail salons in Kilwinning, Kilmarnock and Ayr. Click here to read our blog.
OUR TRAINING SALONS