HNC Construction Management (Infill)
All Ayrshire Schools
This is a course for school pupilsApplications for this course should be made through your guidance teacher
Monday and Wednesday 9am - 4pm
Who is the course for?
If you’d like to work in a supervisory or management role within the construction industry, this course can help you on your way. Construction Managers (or Site Managers/Agents) are responsible for the safe completion of construction projects, on time and within budget.
What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and knowledge you’ll need to work successfully in a management role in the construction industry. It’s mainly theory based, with a small amount of practical work.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll look at substructure, from site investigations through to ground improvements and building foundations
- Construction technology and the techniques to build to specification
- Construction planning
- Health and Safety
- Administrative processes, contracts and tendering procedures
- CAD (Computer Aided Draughting)
- Building services
- Practical tasks such as: testing materials and conducting a levelling survey between two known benchmarks
Pupils will be registered with the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) as student members. Student membership gives instant access to a wealth of resources that will support transition to university and a career in a Construction profession.
What do I need?
A minimum of one relevant Higher, ideally English, Maths or a Science subject.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is on an ongoing basis and will include practical sessions as well as theory, using the new skills you’ve learned throughout the course.
You may progress to:
- HND in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying
- • A degree course at university, possibly via our articulation arrangements, such as BSc in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying at Glasgow Caledonian University (direct entry to year 2). Please note a Grade B in projects is required for this.
- Seeking to start your career in construction in a role such as Trainee or Assistant Site Agent.