HNC Construction Management with Sustainability
Full-time, one year
This course is also offered on DAY RELEASE. If you wish to apply or for further information please contact the college directly.
If you’d like to work in a supervisory or management role within the construction industry, this course can help you on your way. Construction Managers (or Site Managers/Agents) are responsible for the safe completion of construction projects, on time and within budget. It’s a specialist, highly demanding role, so you’ll need to have excellent organisational and planning skills, as well as being good at motivating people.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A minimum of one relevant Higher, ideally English, Maths or a Science subject OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 6, or Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering, or equivalent
- A successful interview with us
If you don’t have any formal qualifications, but have appropriate experience or other training, we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
Options for completing this course on a day release or evening basis are also available. Applications are welcome from individuals currently working in a trade but want to upskill.
This course will give you the skills and knowledge you’ll need to work successfully in a management role in the construction industry. It’s mainly theory based, with a small amount of practical work.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll look at substructure, from site investigations through to ground improvements and building foundations.
- You’ll focus on construction technology and the techniques to build to specification for domestic and commercial construction, including walls, floors and roofs.
- You’ll develop skills in basic construction planning and programming, producing Network Flow Charts and Gantt Charts for master programmes for construction works within a project’s contract duration.
- You’ll also learn how to safely manage a site, and the various regulations that must be considered and adhered to.
- You’ll learn about administrative processes required to support a successful construction project, such as day to day site paperwork, as well as contracts and tendering procedures.
- You’ll develop skills in CAD (Computer Aided Draughting), creating 2D drawings, from location plans to sectional details of components within a construction context.
- You’ll look at common building services in commercial, industrial and high rise buildings. This includes installation techniques for hot and cold water supply, electricity, HVAC, fire prevention and lift installations.
- You’ll carry out practical tasks, such as testing materials and conducting a levelling survey between two known benchmarks.
You may also have the chance to:
- Go on a work placement, via our links with industry employers such as Morrison Construction or Kier Construction, and South Ayrshire Council.
- Go on site visits, such as the Construction Scotland Innovation Centre.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto an HND in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying
- Moving onto a degree course at university, possibly via our articulation arrangements, such as BSc in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying at Glasgow Caledonian University (direct entry to year 2). Please note a Grade B in Graded Unit is required for this.
- Seeking to start your career in construction in a role such as Trainee or Assistant Site Agent.