Sport and Fitness
HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise (Kilmarnock Academy) (Level 7)
This is a course for school pupils only
Kilmarnock Academy, Tuesday and Thursday, 8:50 – 3:35
Who is the course for?
This is a bespoke course designed for school pupils in Ayrshire who would like to gain an HNC in Fitness, Health and Exercise.
This course would be useful if you are considering applying for a university course in Sports Science, PE teaching, Sports Coaching or Health and Fitness. Successful completion of this course would assist any university application and, in some cases, allow advanced entry (into year 2).
Successful completion of this course would allow for the pupil to access the HND Year 2 Sport and Exercise Science or the HND Year 2 in Fitness, Health and Exercise courses at Ayrshire College.
Alternatively, if you’d like to work in the fitness industry, this is also the course for you, as it covers all the key aspects of fitness, health, and exercise.
On successful completion, you’ll meet the required industry standard to become REPS (Register of Exercise Professionals) Level 2 accredited, effectively providing you with the qualification for working within any gym/exercise facility.
Due to the practical nature of this course, the fitness elements, work experience and team working would be beneficial for anyone looking to develop their skills for a career in the Police, Fire Service, Paramedic, Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.
What is the course about?
You'll spend time in the fitness suites and facilities, learning how to instruct your clients safely and competently within a gym environment. However, there's also a substantial amount of theory and written elements, so be prepared to spend time in the classroom as well as self-study.
You'll have the chance to gain hands on, industry led experience, through a weekly placement with a community partner (e.g., local gyms, Active Schools, community initiatives). You'll hone your skills learning about the exercise and fitness environment, helping others make the most of active lifestyle choices. Working with our key partners you will learn top tips for success from people who work in the industry, such as Leisure Trusts and private gym/performance facilities.
What is the Course About?
You'll also be encouraged to extend your industry work and volunteering out with college, to maximise your chances of networking and employment.
Here's some more on what you'll be doing:
- Health Screening – Identifying health and fitness-based indicators for health
- Working Effectively and Safely with Clients – Developing your skills to work with various client groups
- Exercise and Fitness: Health and Safety Management
- Nutrition for Fitness, Health and Exercise – How your food and drink intake impacts on performance
- Exercise Physiology and Anatomy - you'll learn how the body works so you can help your clients get the best results.
- Exercise Physiology and Anatomy – How the body works and develops
- Exercise Principles and Programming – A practical class that focuses on the key factors relating to exercise and fitness
- First Aid for Sport and Fitness- you'll learn how to deal with numerous emergencies and save a life if needs be.
- Fitness, Health and Exercise: Graded Unit 1
- Plan, Teach and Evaluate Gym Based Exercise Sessions - the gym will become your second home, as you learn to plan, teach, and evaluate sessions, to give your clients the best service possible.
- Work Placement – gaining real life practical experience
- Managing a Sport or Fitness Related Event - you'll work with your team to design your own fun fitness event.
What do i need?
A real interest in sport and fitness and in particular the idea of leading/instructing within the fitness industry.
Two Highers and a supporting reference from the school.
How will i be assessed?
You will be fully supported throughout the year and will receive practical assessments, written assessments and assignments that will look at key aspects of the course. We will also assess your leadership within the gym from the point of view of planning, doing, and evaluating your sessions. Assessment is ongoing throughout the year so there are no big exams to worry about.
Successful completion of this Course may provide you with opportunities to progress to a full time HND year 2 course in Fitness Health and Exercise or Applied Sport and Exercise Science. This means you could complete the full HND (your choice) just 1 year after leaving school. So, if you are keen on the HND in Sport Science or the HND Fitness Health and Exercise qualification you could achieve this one year after leaving school. With a HND many of our students enter third year at university. With the right motivation this results in a great fast track route. To take this route we would ask that learners complete additional “articulation” credits in May/June.
What do Current students say?
"Doing and HNC while at school is giving me something different to put on my UCAS form that will help me stand out from the crowd."
"This course will help me get into second year of a Sports Coaching course at UWS. When I leave school I can go straight into second year."
"I am doing the equivalent of a first year at university while I am still at school, I am really enjoying it and the lecturers are great."