Sport and Fitness
HNC Sports Coaching and Development (Infill) (Level 7)
This is a course for school pupils only
Ayr, Monday and Wednesday, 9:00 - 4:00
Kilwinning, Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 - 4:00
Who is the course for
If you're into sport and fitness and are thinking about a future career in sports coaching, sports development, exercise or the leisure industry this course can help you on your way. It covers all aspects of sports coaching and development, giving you the knowledge and skills, you'll need to confidently develop participant talent within a range of sports.
What is the Course About
You'll spend a lot of your day in the coaching environment. However, there's also a fair bit of theory and written elements, so be prepared to spend time in the classroom as well as self-study.
You'll have the chance to:
• Gain hands on, industry led experience, through a weekly placement with a community partner (e.g. Active Schools, Leisure Trusts).
• You’ll hone your coaching skills in a real-life sporting environment, developing young athletes.
• Learn top tips for success from people who work in the industry, such as Kilmarnock FC, Nil by Mouth, Colours of our Scarves.
• You’ll also be encouraged to extend your industry work and volunteering out with school, to maximise your chances of networking and employment.
Here's just some of what you'll be doing:
• Sports Development: investigating how to build sustainable sport projects within our communities.
• Human Anatomy, Physiology and Biomechanics in Sport: to give you an essential understanding how the body functions and performs along with how it can be trained.
• Developing Professional Practice: As a coach we must consider how we approach our role to ensure the best experience for our participants.
• Sports Coaching Practitioner: Knowing Yourself, Others and Coaching: allowing you to develop a wide understanding of being a sports coach.
What Do I Need
For entry to this course, you’ll need:
• A real interest in sport and fitness
• 2 Higher passes A - C
How will I be Assessed?
Mainly written assessments of a closed book and assignment-based nature. We will also assess your leading and coaching from the point of view of planning, doing, and evaluating your sessions. Assessment is ongoing throughout the year so no “big exams” to worry about.
Successful completion of this Course may provide you with opportunities to progress to a full time HND year 2 course in Coaching and Developing Sport. This means you could complete the full HND just 1 year after leaving school. To take this route we would ask that learners complete additional “articulation” credits in May/June.