Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Full time, one year
When we look good, we feel good and as we know, our personal well-being is vital to good health. Beauty Therapy professionals play an important role in this by helping us to look and feel our best. They also get to be part of a diverse and ever evolving industry, which both rewarding and challenging to work in.
To be successful in this profession you must be passionate about what you do, caring, creative, committed and hardworking. You’ll also need to be self-motivated, a good team player and enjoy working with people. If you’re interested in a career in the exciting world of beauty, this course is for you.
For entry to this course you'll need:
- A real interest in beauty.
- An HNC in Beauty Therapy with a minimum of 15 credits
- To be aged 16 or over.
To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to an interview.
This course expands on your existing skills, to prepare you for entering the beauty industry. You’ll analyse client needs, combine multiple treatments, and perfect your time-management and promotional skills. Most units are both practical and theory. You’ll be working on paying clients in our commercial salon and be encouraged to work part-time in a salon or spa to gain valuable work experience.
Here’s just some of what you may study:
- Aromatherapy - you’ll learn about the composition, properties and effects of essential oils, and how to safely blend oils to provide an aromatherapy treatment via massage, inhalation and/or compresses.
- Advance Face and Body Therapy Techniques - you’ll expand on your existing electrical machines knowledge, focussing on the positive effects' treatments can have on the body.
- Electrical epilation - you’ll develop skills in removing superfluous hair from the face and body using permanent probe epilation techniques, such as thermolysis.
- Business plan - you’ll learn how to prepare a formal business plan for a new venture, including resources you’ll need, premises, equipment, staff, finance and marketing.
- Product knowledge - you’ll be able to extend your knowledge of a selected professional skincare range, recognising the benefits and effects to improve the condition of the skin.
- Advance waxing – you'll learn to advance and develop your current waxing skills, exploring and perfecting advanced techniques reflecting current industry practice.
- Advanced massage techniques – you'll develop your skills in manual massage, learning how to apply advanced techniques and skills.
When you successfully complete this course, you may progress to:
- Moving onto a degree course at university, such as BA (Hons) Management and Enterprise at Glasgow Caledonian University
Exploring your future career options and moving into employment which could include:
- Salon Beauty Therapist
- Spa Therapist
- Self-employed Beauty Therapist/Salon Owner
- Beauty Therapist on a Cruise ship