Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
HND Make-up Artistry
Full-time, one year
Make-up Artistry is a hugely exciting and diverse industry to work in. Professional make-up artists, create and produce the latest make-up trends and hair styles within fashion, TV, film and theatre production. If you’ve got passion, drive, creativity, a commitment to work hard, a high level of motivation and are a good team player who enjoys working with others, then make-up artistry is for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in Make-up Artistry.
- An HNC Make-Up artistry with a minimum of 15
- Hairdressing experience would be beneficial & occupationally relevant skills and experience.
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To show various samples of your artwork or photographic evidence of make-up. Please send this evidence for Ayr campus applications direct to firstname.lastname@example.org Kilwinning campus application direct to email@example.com, when you are submitting your course application.
In this second year you will complete everything you need to fully prepare you for entering word of being a MUA. This course focuses on preparing you fully for entering the exciting world of Make-up Artistry and, theatre and the creative media. It’s fun, fascinating and completely industry led. You’ll work with professional make-up companies, photographers, theatres and creative media organizations. You’ll build a high-quality e-portfolio of your creations as you go.
Here’s just some of what you may study:
- Life Casting - sculpting, moulding and applying pieces that you will design yourself, including bullet wounds, noses and 50% facial pieces
- Character Make-up – within this unit you will apply bald caps, specialist ageing prosthetics. Some characters you may cover will be drag queens, pantomime characters, comedy, illness and more.
- Period Hair and Period Make-Up - 18th and 19th century hair and make - up, within this unit you will be applying wigs to suit this era as well as designing make up looks.
- Postiche Application - setting, styling and applying wigs and applying facial hair pieces.
- Digital marketing
You’ll also have the chance to:
- Take part in a work placement as well as contributing to a TV or Film production initiated by you.
- Practically undertake assessments on both your classmates and your own models.
- Go on commercial experiences, such as local theatre productions, fashion shows and photo shoots.
- Volunteer in the community.
- Take part in competitions such as World Skills and AHT.
- Learn from demonstrations by industry suppliers and guest make-up artist.
When you successfully complete this course, you may progress to:
Moving onto a degree course at university, such as BDes (Hons) Special Make-up Effects for Film and TV at Bolton University
Exploring your future career options which could include:
- Freelance Make - up Artist
- Tv, film Make - up artist
- Create your own hair and make-up pieces to sell
- Theatre Make-up artist
- Make up Influencer
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS!
- Find out what it’s really like - Kelly McMullan shares her experiences of studying Beauty at Ayrshire College. Click here to read the blog.
- See the fabulous Fashion Show looks by our Hair & Make-up students. Click here to view the photos.
- End of year show for Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up students. Click here to view the photos.