HND Technical Theatre and Production Arts
Full-time, one year
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- An HNC Technical Theatre (with a minimum of 15 credits)
- An interview with us
You’ll participate in advanced theatre production operations through working on real productions in well-known theatres including Ayr Gaiety, as well as UWS and Ayrshire College theatres. You’ll work on industry standard equipment and be taught by very experienced, current industry professionals.
Here’s more on what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll expand on your skills in scenic art and construction. Working from a set model and technical drawings, you’ll lead a team through the process to produce an item of scenery.
- You’ll expand on your skills in lighting design for performance, creating a lighting design and plan, and realising them for a performance. You’ll also look at stage lighting and technology, learning how to incorporate special effects and stage electrics.
- You’ll expand on your skills in stage sound and technology, including sound effects, digital recording technology, editing and resource management of theatre sound systems. You’ll work closely with the artistic director co-ordinating stage sound operations throughout the production process.
- You’ll develop research techniques, looking at a range of theatrical spaces and genres, and learning to evaluate the design style in terms of set, props and furniture, costumes, lighting, sound and the overall effect.
- You’ll learn about digital audio workstations, and how to record and manipulate audio and MIDI signals for sound production.
- You’ll develop your skills in stage management to an advanced level, to include organisational, leadership and team working skills.
- You’ll focus on professional development for technical theatre and production arts, and the knowledge and skills you’ll need for working in the industry.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto a degree course at university, BA Production Technology and Management and BA Production Arts and Design at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (yr 1 entry)
- Annual Delfont Mackintosh all expense paid London placement for one HND student at a world-class venue for 1 week. The only course in Scotland able to offer this unique opportunity. (sponsored by HIT Scotland)
- Starting your career in Technical Theatre. There are many unfulfilled vacancies nationally and internationally in Technical Theatre and most students find work either while at College or soon after. Possible careers include: Lighting Operator, Sound Operator, Set Designer, Stage Manager, Assistant Stage Manager, Event Organiser, Production Specialist, Broadcast Engineer (lighting, sound, production), Lighting Director, Sound Designer, Stage Crew, Runner, Front of House Crew, Make-up Artist.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOG and VIDEO
- Read about Sam, who was the lucky student who spent 1 week at the Delfont Mackintosh theatre. https://sdtn.org/2019/03/samanthas-work-experience-at-victoria-palace-theatre/
- Find out what it’s really like - Student of the Year Karen Kerr shares her experience of studying Photography at Ayrshire College. Click here to read our blog.
- Be wowed by our Creative Department’s end of year show - Creative Candy features fashion, hair, make-up, photography, music, sound production and performing arts students. Click here to watch the video.