IMI Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles (SCQF6)
Full-time, one year. Day release, one year
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- To have successfully completed IMI Level 2 Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair or equivalent
- An interview with us
By the time you get to this level, you’ll have in depth knowledge of vehicle systems and advanced skills in how to repair to them. The focus now is on diagnosing problems and rectifying them.
When a warning light comes on in a vehicle, it’s to alert you that something’s not right - but it’s up to you to find out what!
Working on modern vehicles in our workshop, you’ll practise diagnosing all different types of faults, including electrical, engine, chassis and transmission.
You’ll then put your repair skills into action, sort the problem and confirm your diagnosis has been correct.
You’ll extend your inspection skills too and pick up some final tips on working effectively and safely in an automotive environment.
You’ll also build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Seeking to start your career with a Modern Apprenticeship or employment as a mechanic in an independent garage, or in a large company such as BT, looking after their fleet.
- Using your transferable skills to move to another related industry
- Becoming a M.O.T. Tester
- Moving into a supervision or management role
- Progress to a HNC in Automotive Engineering or Higher Education
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS!