Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Introduction to Professional Spa and Beauty Therapy
SCQFComparable to SCQF Level 6
Attendance/DurationShort full time, 18 weeks August to January
In recent years, interest in wellbeing and spa therapies has increased. There are now more employment opportunities available to professionals qualified in this industry.
To be successful in this career you must be caring, committed, and hardworking. You’ll also need to be self-motivated, a good team player, and enjoy working with people.
For entry to this course, you’ll need:
- An interest in wellbeing/spa, and a desire to work/or already be working in a spa environment.
- Four National 4s or equivalent OR a relevant course at SCQF Level 4, or equivalent.
- To apply, complete the online application, including the personal statement. We may notify you of the outcome by letter or email.
- To be 16 or over.
If you don’t have formal qualifications but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place.
The course gives you an introduction to the skills and knowledge needed to become a Spa Therapist.
Here are some of the units you may study:
- ESPA Skincare and Holistic Facials - you’ll learn how to perform ESPA Facial Treatments.
- ESPA Bodycare and Massage treatments - you’ll learn how to perform ESPA Body and Massage Treatments, developing different techniques.
- Consultation and Customer Care skills – you’ll learn excellent customer care through consultations and aftercare.
- Professional Spa work placement- you’ll visit and experience the day-to-day operations of a professional spa. This will help you to develop employability skills and career opportunities.
As well as the work placement element, you'll also develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
When you complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto our January Start Professional Spa Therapy Techniques
- Exploring your future career options. With extra qualifications you could go on to become:
- Salon Spa Therapist
- Spa Therapist
- Self-employed Spa Facial and Body Therapist
- Salon Owner
- Cruise ship Spa Therapist
- Destination Spa Therapist.