Health and Social Care
Level 2 SVQ Social Services and Healthcare
Full-time, One Year
This course is specifically designed to meet the requirements of the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) so you can register with them as a Care and Support Worker.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- Five relevant National 5s or equivalent or a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent, such as NC Health and Social Care
- An interview with us
- A satisfactory reference
- To become a member of the PVG scheme
If you don’t have formal qualifications but are working in care and have explained this in your application we’ll also consider you for a place.
It is a full-time course involving two days a week of college attendance and two days a week in your placement. If you are working in care then with your managers approval you may be able to use your workplace.
You will complete a number of units of study that will help you to develop the knowledge, skills and values that are needed to work effectively in the care sector.
This will all contribute towards your achievement of the SVQ 2 in Social Services and Healthcare and the NPA in Health and Social Care: Skills for Practice.
Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- You’ll develop practical caring skills, including nutrition, hydration, personal care and pain management. You’ll be increasingly aware of how to maintain safety and security when accessing people’s homes.
- You’ll also look at various aspects of safeguarding, health and safety, and general safe practice in care. You’ll look at areas of support for yourself as well as those you care for.
- You’ll enhance your understanding of legislation, organisational policies and procedures in relation to safe effective care.
- You will increase your understanding of person centred care and the importance of values, principles, privacy, dignity, equality and diversity.
- You will fine tune your communication skills as you become more aware of how we communicate and the barriers to communication that some people experience.
- You will be able to explain the importance of working in a multidisciplinary team and understand how team members work together to plan and implement the individual’s care.
- You will develop an understanding of caring for people with dementia as well as how we develop across the lifespan and the impact this has on our needs and care requirements.
If you complete this course successfully you will be guaranteed interviews with employers from across the sector.
You will have built transferable, essential skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
This course will help you to become a more confident and effective worker and allow you to go onto more advanced work based qualifications and/or promoted posts.