Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Full-time, one year
Make-up Artistry is a hugely exciting and diverse industry to work in. Professional make-up artists create and produce the latest make-up trends and hair styles within fashion, TV, film and theatre production.
If you’ve got passion, drive, creativity, a commitment to work hard, a high level of motivation and are a good team player who enjoys working with others, then make-up artistry is for you.
For entry to this course you need:
- A real interest in make-up
- Four National 5s or equivalent, ideally including English and Art & Design OR a relevant SCQF Level 5 course such as Arts & Crafts or NC Hairdressing or equivalent
- To show various samples of your artwork or photographic evidence of make-up. Please send this evidence for Ayr campus applications direct to email@example.com Kilwinning campus application direct to firstname.lastname@example.org when you are submitting your course application.
- Hairdressing experience would also be an advantage.
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place
This course offers a great introduction to Make-up Artistry, giving you the chance to unleash your creativity in hair and make-up. It’s fun, fascinating and completely industry led, developing both your practical skills and technical knowledge.
Here’s just some of what you may study:
- Make-up trends - you’ll learn the basic principles of make-up and then research the latest trends, create a mood board and produce your own current ‘looks’ on models.
- Special Effects make-up - you’ll learn how to create special effects, along with your character make-up
- Character make-up - you’ll create different male and female characters of your own, from genres such as comedy, fantasy or sci-fi and ageing.
- Hairdressing - you’ll learn to style, dress and finish hair, this may include designing looks for long hair, and current fashion trends
- Introduction to Wigs & postiche - you’ll develop skills in styling and dressing wigs, hair pieces and facial hair.
- Body painting - you’ll develop skills for different types of look, such as fashion (eg waistcoat) and fantasy (eg mermaid).
You’ll also have the chance to:
- Go on commercial experiences, such as local theatre productions, fashion shows and photo shoots
- Volunteer in the community, providing services like prom make-up or face painting
- Take part in competitions such as World Skills and AHT
- Learn from demonstrations by industry suppliers and guest make-up artist.
When you successfully complete this course, you may progress to :
HNC Make-Up Artistry
Exploring your future career options which could include:
- Retail Make-up Consultant with a high street cosmetic brand
- Make-up Columnist/Blogger
- Setting up your own business, depending on your own area of interest.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Zombie Apocalypse at Kilwinning Campus - Make-up students use creative talents for Cancer Research. Click here to read the blog.
- HND Make-up Artistry Showcase. Click here to view the photographs.
- Zombie walk at Kilwinning Campus, with NQ6 and HND Make-up Artistry students. Click here to view the photographs.
- NQ Make-Up Competition. Click here to view the photographs.