Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Make-up Artistry (Level 6)
SCQF LevelComparable to SCQF Level 6
Attendance/DurationFull-time, one year
Hair and Make-up is a hugely exciting and diverse industry to work in. Professional Hair and Make-up artists create and produce the latest make-up trends and hair styles within salons, fashion, TV, film and theatre production.
If you’ve got passion, drive, creativity, a commitment to work hard, a high level of motivation and are a good team player who enjoys working with others, then hair and make-up artist is for you.
For entry to this course you need:
- A real interest in make-up and hair.
- Four National 5s or equivalent, ideally including English and Art & Design or a relevant SCQF Level 5 course such as Arts & Crafts or NC Hairdressing or equivalent.
To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place.
This course offers a great introduction to Hair and Make-up, giving you the chance to unleash your creativity in hair and make-up. It’s fun, fascinating and completely industry led, developing both your practical skills and technical knowledge.
Here's just some of what you may study:
- Make-up - you'll learn the basic principles of fashion, bridal, evening and instagram make-up and then research the latest trends and produce your own ‘looks’ on models.
- SPFX make-up - you’ll learn how to create special effects make-up
- Face paint and Character make-up - you’ll create different male and female characters of your own, from genres such as comedy, fantasy or sci-fi and ageing.
- Hair - you’ll learn to shampoo, style, dress and finish hair, this may include designing looks for long hair, current fashion trends and creating total looks
When you successfully complete this course, you may progress to :
Exploring your future career options which could include:
- Retail Make-up/Hair Consultant with a high street cosmetic brand
- Make-up/Hair Columnist/Blogger
- Setting up your own Hair and Make up business, depending on your own area of interest.