Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
NC Hairdressing (Level 6)
Course AvailabilityPlease note this course is accepting applications for waiting list only in all of our campuses
Full-time, one year
Working in hairdressing is both exciting and challenging. It’s part of a diverse and ever evolving industry which is continuously launching new products and techniques. Hairdressing professionals are at the heart of this, helping to create and maintain current trends.
To be successful in this profession you’ll need to be passionate, creative, committed and hardworking. You’ll also need to be self-motivated, a good team player and enjoy working with people.
If you’re interested in following this exciting career path, this course can help you on your way.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A Hairdressing qualification at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent
- An ongoing interest in hairdressing
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview
- To be aged 16 or over
Please note, if you don’t have a Level 5 Hairdressing qualification or equivalent, and an ongoing interest in hairdressing, we will not consider you for entry.
This course builds on your existing skills, taking them to a more advanced and more creative level, as you develop your artistic flair and technical expertise. You’ll continue to train in our commercial salons on campus, but will also go on work experience one day a week to a local salon.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Ladies cutting - you’ll develop skills in combination cutting, blending together solid, graduation or layered cuts for a finished look. You’ll move onto creative cutting, exploring current looks and producing a folio.
- Colour - you’ll focus on client consultation, product selection and application for colouring and lightening. You’ll also learn about colour correction.
- Styling and dressing - you’ll learn about changing the shape of hair, and expand your skills in dressing and finishing, including winding, rollers and curling.
- Long hair - you’ll learn to produce styles for high fashion and special occasions, showing creativity and imagination.
- Styling for a total look - you’ll create a plan for hairstyle, make-up and clothing, then perform your look on a model.
- Gents’ barbering - you’ll develop techniques in basic cuts, including club cutting, tapering and freehand cutting, incorporating clipper work/razor cutting.
You’ll also have the chance to develop your skills and creativity through:
- Taking part in competitions such as the Association of Hairdressers and Therapists Annual Competition (campus competition, Regional heats and British final).
- Volunteering for community projects such as fashion shows or drama productions.
- Organising fundraising events for charity.
- Learning from industry experts and industry training days.
When you successfully complete this course, you may have the choice of:
- Moving onto a Level 6/7 course such as Advanced Hairdressing
- Starting your career with employment as a Junior Stylist or a Modern Apprenticeship in hairdressing
- Exploring your future career options which, once fully qualified, could include: Salon/Session/Self-employed Stylist, Colour Technician, Hair Stylist aboard a Cruise Ship, Hair Stylist in TV/Film/Theatre, Hairdressing Trainer/Educator
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Man in the Mirror - hairdressing student Martin McClusky shares his experiences of the hairdressing industry and his career so far. Click here to read the blog.
- Find out what it’s really like - Student of the Year Anneliese Burnett shares her experiences of studying Hairdressing at Ayrshire College and what she plans to do next. Click here to read the blog.
- Zombie Apocalypse at Kilwinning Campus - creative talents raise cash for Cancer Research. Click here to read the blog.
- Be blown away by our Hair Exhibition 2017. Click here to view the photographs.
- End of year show for Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up students. Click here to view the photographs.