Hospitality and Professional Cookery
Full-time, one year
If you’ve got aspirations for a supervisory role in the hospitality industry, such as a restaurant or functions manager, this is the course for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A pass in Food and Beverage Service or Hospitality course
- A real interest in working in the hospitality industry
- Hospitality (Level 5), Food and Drink Service (Level 5), Professional Cookery (Level 5) or another relevant course
- Core skills at Level 5
If you don’t have any formal qualifications, but have appropriate industry experience, knowledge and skills, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course is all about developing your customer service skills to an advanced level so you can give people a first class experience in your hotel or restaurant. The focus is on your customers’ needs - how to anticipate them, focus on them and successfully meet them.
You’ll spend one day a week serving customers in Inver, our live training restaurant.
You’ll gain in depth product knowledge for both food and wine, so you can advise your customers on their choices, and will learn how to cost out recipes and events.
You’ll also do a bit of cooking, but it’s really so you can understand what you’re serving and explaining that to customers, rather than making you a top chef.
You’ll also build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
And like all our hospitality courses, you’ll have the chance to:
- Participate in real functions such as business events or bespoke dinners.
- Go on visits to restaurants, pubs, clubs or even hotels such as Trump Turnberry or Lochgreen House in Troon.
- Join in Masterclasses from local industry professionals.
- Hear top tips on how to get ahead in hospitality from leading employers, successful venue owners and industry suppliers.
- Take part in competitions such as inter-campus competitions or the national
- Student Team Challenge.
Interested? Come in for an informal chat to find out more. Email Richard Canale at email@example.com
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving on to a relevant HNC Hospitality or Tourism course
- Seeking to start your career in a supervisory role in the hospitality industry
See our blog on why hospitality is a great career choice here