Sport and Fitness
NPA Exercise and Fitness - Leadership
This course is for school pupils only
Ayr/Kilmarnock and Kilwinning
Kilmarnock and Kilwining
2.00pm to 4.00pm
2.00pm to 4.00pm
Who is the Course for?
This course is for you if you have an interest in, or wish to develop, valuable skills in the Exercise and Fitness industry. If you are thinking about a career or further study in sport, exercise, health or fitness this course would be of great benefit. As much of the course is practical the NPA will allow you to develop your personal leadership qualities and to develop your own knowledge and skills through the delivery of and participation in exercise and fitness.
The Award will provide:
- A chance to learn about exercise in fitness in a practical innovative way.
- A choice of vocational pathways to be followed within the health and fitness industry.
- Flexible approaches to learning within a national framework.
- Articulation to existing HNC/HND courses available at Ayrshire College.
- Articulation with SVQ in Instructing Exercise and Fitness at SVQ level 2 and beyond.
- A focus on the current working practices being demanded by the industry.
What is the Course about?
The NPA in Exercise and Fitness: Leadership provides pupils with knowledge and skills in the theoretical and practical elements of exercise and fitness training. Applicants must note that there is a strong practical component to this course and participation is linked to the assessments. To gain the award pupils must pass three of the following five SQA units
SQA Course Units:
- Exercise and Fitness: Cardiovascular Training
- Exercise and Fitness: Fixed Weight Training
- Exercise and Fitness: Free Weight Training
- Exercise and Fitness: Circuit Training
- Exercise and Fitness: Exercise to Music
What do i need?
It should be acknowledged that as the course is at level 6 applicants will need to committed to their attendance and studies to pass this exciting programme.
How will i be assessed?
Assessment across the units will be a mixture of theory and practical and will test knowledge and understanding gained during class time.
The award is designed to articulate with Ayrshire Colleges current HNC/D Fitness, Health and Exercise and Applied Sport and Exercise Science HND provision. Pupils who pass this course would be able to articulate onto these courses and follow this particular pathway. The course would also be useful to those wishing to attend university to study a sport/fitness related degree and those seeking employment within the health/fitness/exercise industry.
What do current students say?
- I am really enjoying the course as we get to use the equipment in the college gym. I am particularly enjoying working with free weights. I think the course will really help me with my future career plans to become a personal trainer.
- More chilled out that being in a classroom all the time
- Doing workshops helps with theory and improves understanding
- We are able to create fitness circuits and gym sessions which are specific to our skills and abilities which makes it more beneficial
- Further education which usually wouldn’t get taught in school makes it interesting