Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Professional Beauty and Make-Up Techniques
Comparable to Level 5
Short Full time,18 weeks
When we look good, we feel good and as we know, our personal well-being is vital to good health. Beauty Therapy professionals play an important role in this by helping us to look and feel our best. They also get to be part of a diverse and ever evolving industry, which is both rewarding and challenging to work in.
To be successful in this profession you must be caring, creative, committed and hardworking. You’ll also need to be self-motivated, a good team player and enjoy working with people. If you’re interested in taking the first steps on this exciting career path, this is the course for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in beauty and make-up
- Four National 4s or equivalent OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4, such as Personal and Vocational Skills (Hairdressing, Beauty and Make-Up) or equivalent
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To be aged 16 or over
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place.
The course gives you a great introduction to skin and body care, including treatments for hands and feet. You’ll also be encouraged to gain valuable work experience through helping with community and college events.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Facial Skincare - you’ll learn how to perform a basic routine including cleansing, toning, moisturising, eyebrow tweezing and applying a mask.
- Make-Up - you’ll develop skills in day, evening and bridal make-up, as well as learning corrective techniques, such as shading and hi-lighting, to enhance appearance.
- Manicure - you’ll learn how to perform a professional manicure and polish, including correct procedures for time, sequence and application.
- Nail art - you’ll explore the variety of products available, from stencils and rhinestones, to foil wraps and glitter dust, and produce your own creative designs.
- Pedicure - you’ll learn what’s involved in the perfect pedicure, including selecting the right products for different skin conditions, shaping nails and applying enamel.
- Massage - you’ll learn how to perform a back, neck and shoulder massage, developing different techniques for a range of effects, such as relaxation or to ease aches and pains.
- Waxing - you’ll learn how to carry out professional warm waxing in a salon environment to a range of treatment areas, including half leg, ‘basic’ bikini, underarm and eyebrows.
- Portfolio - you’ll have the opportunity to build and present a portfolio to showcase your best work.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons
- Taking part in competitions
- Hearing from industry speakers
- Volunteering for community events, like performing manicures for charity
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
When you successfully complete this course, you may choose to:
- Move onto a Level 6 course such as NC Beauty Care, NC Wellness Therapies or SVQ Nail Services @ SCQF Level 6
- Explore your future career options. With additional qualifications this could include: Salon Beauty Therapist, Spa Therapist, Self-employed Beauty Therapist/Salon Owner, Beauty Therapist on board a cruise ship, Beauty Therapist Trainer/Educator or Nail Technician.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOGS
- Skills on show - Beauty students get creative in campus competition. Click here to read the blog.
- Find out what it’s really like - Kelly McMullan shares her experiences of studying Beauty at Ayrshire College. Click here to read the blog.
- ‘Amazing opportunities’ - discover why Kelly McCann believes Ayrshire College is best for Beauty. Click here to read the blog.
- See our Beauty students getting creative in the campus competition. Click here to view the photographs.
- End of year show for Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up students. Click here to view the photographs.