Short Full time, 32 weeks
This programme is specifically for young people (Interns) living in East Ayrshire aged 17 to 32, who have learning difficulties and/or are on the autistic spectrum. The focus is on preparing interns for work in the wider community. The programme develops the competitive, transferrable and marketable skills needed for successful employment.
To gain a place on the course, interns will need to:
- Submit an application form online. If you have any questions about applying, please contact our staff on 07957 302 630.
- Applications should be received by 31st May
The interns will be based at the University Hospital Crosshouse and will undertake 3 different work placements. The course runs from Monday 31 August 2021 until Friday 10th June 2022. Financial support for travel is available.
Interns will receive individualised instruction, coaching, support and feedback from their instructor, job coach, managers, and mentors.
You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
Here is more on what the interns will be doing:
- Gaining in depth work experience, 5 days a week, 9am – 4pm based between the different facilities at University Hospital Crosshouse and our classroom base.
- Developing employability skills through working across a wide range of internships. Previous interns have worked in portering, waste management, theatre stores, pharmacy, linen room, paediatrics, medical records.
- Developing basic ICT skills.
- Practising interview techniques to help secure future employment.
- Developing personal awareness, including understanding what skills they have and what others they need to develop to find employment.
When the interns successfully complete this programme, they can compete for employment in the community. They will also have a link to Adult Support Agencies, if relevant to the interns needs.
While there’s no guarantee of a job on completion of the course, interns will have gained a wider range of work experiences which will help them as they seek to find employment.
Click here to view 4 videos of students who completed Project Search and now have jobs.