Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
SVQ Barbering @ SCQF Level 5
Full time, one year
Working in barbering is both exciting and challenging. It’s part of a diverse and ever evolving industry which is continuously launching new products and techniques. Barbering professionals are at the heart of this, helping to create and maintain current trends.
To be successful in this profession you need to be passionate, creative, committed and hardworking. You also need to be self-motivated, a good team player and enjoy working with people.
If you’re interested in taking the first steps on this exciting career path, or you’re qualified in ladies’ hairdressing and want to develop your skills in gents barbering, this is the course for you.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in barbering
- Four National 4s or equivalent OR a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4 or equivalent
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To be aged 16 or over
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place. Previous salon work experience would be beneficial, however is not essential.
This course gives you a great introduction to barbering, developing your creative and practical skills, and technical knowledge. You’ll train in one of our on-campus commercial salons, working with real clients, as you learn to cut, colour and style gents’ hair.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Shampoo and condition - you’ll look at structures and conditions of hair, skin and scalp; learning about products and developing techniques for scalp massage.
- Barbering techniques - you’ll learn precision cutting skills using techniques such as club cutting, texturising, scissor and clipper over comb, and freehand to achieve a variety of looks.
- Clippering and cutting techniques - you’ll create basic outlines and details for straight and curved finishes.
- Drying and finishing - you’ll learn a range of styling techniques, using a wide range of styling and finishing products.
- Colouring and lightening - you’ll develop skills for preparing, applying and removing products for full head, regrowth, freehand and shoe shine techniques.
- Client consultation - you’ll learn to engage with clients, including examining hair, skin and scalp, and recommending services and products.
- Reception duties - you’ll learn how to run a salon reception, including making appointments, and dealing with payments.
You’ll also have the chance to develop your skills and creativity through:
- Taking part in campus competitions and the Annual End of Year Show.
- Volunteering for community projects.
- Organising fundraising events for charity
- Hearing from industry experts, including local owners and suppliers.
- Taking part in industry training days.
You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto SVQ Gents Barbering @ Level 6
- Seeking to start your career as a salon based or self-employed Gents Barber
RELATED STORIESMark Mitchell is a former student and now a successful barber shop owner.
- See what’s on offer at our commercial hair, beauty and nail salons in Kilwinning, Kilmarnock and Ayr. Click here to read our blog.