Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
SVQ Nail Services @ SCQF Level 6
Course AvailabilityPlease note this course is accepting applications for waiting list only in our Kilmarnock campus.
Full-time, one year
If you want to explore your creative talents, are passionate about the nail industry and would like to make a career out of flawless performances, this is the course for you. It’s led by highly knowledgeable and experienced professionals who will share their skills and expertise so you can become the best in the industry.
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A Nail unit at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent OR a full Nail or Beauty qualification at SCQF Level 5, such as SVQ Nail Services @ SCQF Level 5 or NC Beauty Care and Make-Up
- An ongoing interest in nail services
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To be aged 16 or over
Please note, if you don’t have an SCQF Level 5 Nail unit or equivalent and an ongoing interest in nail services, we will not consider you for entry.
This course will help you develop advanced nail techniques and knowledge through a high volume of practical and theory sessions. You’ll also be encouraged to work part-time in a salon to gain valuable work experience while you complete your studies.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Nail enhancements - you’ll develop skills in applying and removing nail enhancements to cosmetically improve or camouflage nails, using sculpting techniques and tip application with coloured powders and light cured gels.
- Nail art - you’ll learn how to create individual nail art using a range of products and techniques such as 3D, encapsulation, marbling, glitters, jewels and decals. You’ll also combine your technical and creative skills to create looks for different purposes, such as photoshoots or catwalk shows.
- Gel polish - you’ll develop skills in application and removal techniques for dark, light, French and design.
- Electric filing - you’ll learn how to use an electric file to maintain and finish overlays.
- Self-tanning - you’ll learn to apply different types of products such as creams, gels and spray tan liquid, for an even result.
- Promotion - you’ll contribute to planning and running a promotional activity, involving learning about good team work, target audiences and how to interact with the public while demonstrating techniques.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your skills through:
- Working in our commercial training salons
- Taking part in competitions such as World Skills
- Hearing from industry speakers
- Volunteering for community events, like performing manicures for charity
- Helping at promotional events, such as campus wellbeing days.
In this course you will have built transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
When you successfully complete this course, you may have the choice of:
- Moving onto HNC Beauty or SVQ Beauty Therapy @ SCQF Level 6/7
- Exploring your future career options which could include: Self-employed Nail Technician/Salon Owner, Nail Specialist in a salon, Nail Technician aboard a cruise ship, Nail Enhancements Educator or Nail Technician columnist and blogger.
BE INSPIRED BY OUR BLOG
- Treat yourself at our training salons - see what’s on offer at our commercial hair, beauty and nail salons in Kilwinning, Kilmarnock and Ayr. Click here to read our blog.