Skills for Work - Early Education and Childcare (Belmont Academy)
Belmont Academy pupils
This course is for school pupils only
Location / Day / Time
Monday and Wednesday
2:00 - 3:40
Who is the course for
The course is designed as an introduction to Early Learning and Childcare at Level 5 and gives you an understanding of the demands and responsibilities of working in the sector. It also provides suitable progression if you have studied the Level 4 Early Learning and Childcare course.
What is the course about
SCQF level 5 Skills for Work: Early Learning and Childcare is an introductory qualification that develops the skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed for working within the sector, including:
- an understanding of the workplace and your responsibilities (e.g., timekeeping, appearance)
- self-evaluation skills
- positive attitude to learning
- flexible approaches to solving problems
- adaptability and positive attitude to change
- confidence to set goals, reflect and learn from experience
- skills to become effective jobseekers and employees
You will study four units, and these are:
- Development and Wellbeing of Children and Young People
- Play in Early Learning and Childcare
- Working in Early Learning and Childcare
- Care and Feeding of Children
To achieve the Course award, you must successfully achieve all the Units listed above.
What do I need
You should have:
- Achieved or be working towards National 5 English
- A real interest in Early Learning and Childcare
- Be committed to consistent and full attendance throughout the course.
Selection for a place on this course is based on pupils meeting the above requirements and completing a Microsoft Forms task which will be emailed to you; your personal statement and task content will be used to assess your suitability for this course.
How will I be assessed
The assessments used in this course will allow you to demonstrate a competence in key knowledge, skills and attitudes required in early education and childcare sector.
Assessment approaches will include closed book and project-based activities.
This Course may provide you with opportunities to progress to Early Learning and Childcare (SCQF level 6).