Hospitality, Tourism and Events
HNC Travel and Tourism
Full-time, one year
From 24 Aug 2020
Did you enjoy studying Travel & Tourism at school? Or are you keen to study it for the first time? This course could be just for you.
For entry to this course, you’ll need to have:
- A real interest in working in the travel and tourism industry
- A strong focus on customer care, with good people skills
- Core skills of Communication and Numeracy at Level 6
- One relevant Higher at grade C or above OR
- A relevant SCQF Level 6 course or equivalent
- An interview with us
If you don’t have formal qualifications, but have life experience, then we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
It’s also really valuable if you can gain experience of working in the industry while you’re on this course.
Travel and tourism is an exciting and enjoyable industry to work in. If you’d like to work with people and help them to have a fabulous visit or holiday experience, this course will develop the skills and knowledge you need - like all our tourism courses, it’s fun, modern and completely relevant to the current tourism industry.
With this Level 7 course, you’ll look in detail at tourism in Scotland - how important it is to the Scottish economy, how we can sell Scotland to people as a destination, and what it’s got to offer tourists. You’ll then look at tourist destinations across the UK and internationally.
You’ll look at tour guiding and the importance of well organised tours and itineraries to a tourist attraction.
You’ll learn how to market your destinations effectively, including making best use of digital and social media.
You’ll focus on customer care and satisfaction, and also explore business and ICT elements such as finance and administration.
You’ll need to write a lot of reports and develop clear communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Go on numerous trips to a destination such as Edinburgh to visit attractions like the creepy Edinburgh Dungeons or inspirational New Lanark World Heritage Site.
- Have the opportunity to research, plan and lead a tour (possibly during the visit).
- Hear from professional industry experts who’ll give you their top tips for working successfully in the travel and tourism sector.
- Take part in volunteering opportunities, and support local events/charities to help build your skills for employment.
Interested? Come in for an informal chat to find out more. You can email Richard Canale for further information at email@example.com.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving onto an SCQF Level 7 course, such as HND Travel & Tourism
- Starting your career in the travel and tourism industry
Potential careers include:
- National tourist organisations
- Travel management companies
- Visitor centres/attractions
- Tour operators
- Travel agents
- Airport ground handling
- Foreign exchange services
There’s also the potential for you to develop into a management role or set up your own business.
See our blog on why tourism is a great career choice hereBack to Hospitality, Tourism and Events