Hospitality, Tourism and Events
Food and Beverage Service
Full-time, one year
From 24 Aug 2020
For entry to this course you’ll need:
- A real interest in working in the hospitality industry
- Four National 4s or four relevant Standard Grades at General Level OR
- A pass in a relevant NC course at SCQF Level 4 or equivalent
- Core skills of Communication and Numeracy at Level 4 or above
- An interview with us
If you don’t have any formal qualifications, but have life experience and are really keen, we’ll also consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course gives you the skills you need to provide great customer care when you’re serving food and drink.
You’ll gain real life work experience by serving real food to real customers in our fabulous Salt & Barrel restaurant in the Kilmarnock Campus. Here, every week you’ll get ‘hands on’ experience of waiting at tables - explaining to customers about the dishes available, taking orders and serving.
You’ll learn about food and drink products, so you can advise your customers on their choices.
You’ll also find out what you need to know to successfully work in the hospitality industry, including food hygiene and safety.
And like all our hospitality courses, you’ll have the chance to:
- Participate in real functions such as business events or bespoke dinners.
- Go on visits to hotels, restaurants, pubs or clubs.
- Join in Masterclasses from local industry professionals.
- Hear top tips on how to get ahead in hospitality from leading employers, successful venue owners and industry suppliers.
- Take part in competitions such as inter-campus competitions or the national
- Student Team Challenge.
You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
Interested? Come in for an informal chat to find out more. Contact Maggie Garrard on 01563 523501 extension 8662 - firstname.lastname@example.org
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
- Moving on to a relevant Hospitality or Tourism course at Level 6
- Seeking to start your career in the hospitality industry, such as a hotel, restaurant or bar
See our blog on why hospitality is a great career choice hereBack to Hospitality, Tourism and Events