Hair, Beauty, Complementary Therapies and Make-Up
Personal and Vocational Skills (Hairdressing, Beauty and Make-up) (Level 4)
Comparable to Level 4
Short full-time, 18 weeks
Hair, Beauty and Make-up professionals play an important role in our health and wellbeing by helping us to look and feel at our best. It’s an exciting industry to work in and to be successful you need to be caring, creative, hard-working, a team player and enjoy working with people.
If you’re interested in a career in hairdressing, beauty or make-up, but haven’t yet decided which path to take, this course is a great place to start.
For entry to this course you'll need:
- A real interest in hair, beauty and make-up
- Four National 3s or equivalent OR a relevant course at SCQF Level 3 or equivalent
- To submit an application, completing all sections, including Personal Statement in full. NB we may notify you of the outcome by letter and/or invite you to attend an interview.
- To be aged 16 or over (exceptions may be made and will be discussed at interview)
If you don't have formal qualifications, we may consider you for a place, so please call us for a chat.
This course gives you a great foundation in basic hair and beauty skills to develop your self-confidence, employability and core skills, so you can make informed choices about your further study/career choices.
Here’s just some of the units you may study:
- Skincare - you’ll learn to use professional products to perform a skincare routine within a salon environment.
- Make-up - you’ll research current trends and learn to prepare products to create a contemporary image.
- Salon skills - you’ll develop skills in general salon duties, such as shampooing and conditioning, scalp massage and drying techniques.
- Colouring hair - you’ll learn about colour products, observe colour application and removal, and practise mock application.
- Creative nail finishes - you’ll develop techniques for applying a range of basic nail finishes to hands and feet, such as French polish, nail wraps or nail art.
You’ll also have the chance to take part in:
- Fundraising events for charity, through offering services such as pleats, curling, etc.
Plus we’ll help you develop your skills for employment, such as communication or working as part of a team.
You’ll build transferable Essential Skills in meaningful contexts to help you become more effective in life, learning, and work. This could be communication, numeracy, ICT, working with others, and problem solving.
When you successfully complete this course, you’ll have the choice of:
Moving onto a Level 5 course such as:
- NC Hairdressing @ SCQF level 5
- SVQ Barbering @ SCQF level 5
- NC Beauty Care & Make-Up @ SCQF level 5
- SVQ Nail Services @ SCQF level 5
With additional qualifications, your career options could include:
- Salon/Session/Self-employed Stylist
- Colour Technician
- Hair Stylist aboard a Cruise Ship
- Hair Stylist in TV/Film/Theatre
- Hairdressing Trainer/Educator
- Salon Beauty Therapist
- Self-employed Beauty Therapist/Salon Owner
- Beauty Therapist aboard a Cruise Ship
- Beauty Therapist Trainer/Educator
- Nail Technician
- Retail Make-up Consultant with a high street make-up cosmetic brand
- Editorial Make-up Artist
- Freelance Make-up Artist
- Salon work for bridal/prom/hairstylist makeovers
- Specialist Make-up Artist for Film and TV
- Spa Therapist
- Complementary Therapist